I forgot my eggs overnight

wild chick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Southern NM mountains @ 6400'
I collected my eggs yesterday evening & left the basket on my porch being sidetracked by other things. Short story, it was about 25 F. last night on the porch thermometer. Continue on with eggs like nothing happened? Eat right away, feed to pets, hard boil only? Thanks in advance!

I collected my eggs yesterday evening & left the basket on my porch being sidetracked by other things. Short story, it was about 25 F. last night on the porch thermometer. Continue on with eggs like nothing happened? Eat right away, feed to pets, hard boil only? Thanks in advance!

They're safe to eat. Eggs not washed have a protective bloom. They can keep at room temp for weeks.

The only thing a float test will tell you is if an egg is old enough to have lost enough moisture to float. You can leave an egg in a hot dirty nest for three days and it won't float, but it could be teeming with bacteria. I don't eat anything questionable. On the other hand, my birds don't range the whole farm and they all lay in clean nest boxes and I collect daily, so I really never have an issue, by design.

Continue like nothing happened.u

Oops!
As long as they didn't crack, they'll be fine for you to eat.
Yolks might be a funky texture, so scrambling might best,
rather than poached, over easy, etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I knew they weren't bad, just wasn't sure what freezing would do to them. I whipped them up in a frittata the next day. Some of the yolks were a little wrinkled, but scrambled up with potatoes and roasted red peppers and cheese, baked in an iron skillet, I would never have guessed they'd been frozen overnight. I did put them in the fridge so they wouldn't warm up too fast & I did check for cracks (there were none).

Back
Top Bottom