I forgot to close the coop

brewfarm

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2017
Redmond, Washington
The rest of the family went on vacation yesterday. After the circus of getting them out the door, and to the airport, I came back and did my morning chores. I grabbed the eggs in the afternoon and then made supper. Then I enjoyed a (very rare) quiet evening- and forgot to go back outside and close the coop for the night.
When I came out this morning the door to the shed coop was wide open and there were a couple of chicks poking around the pen. As soon as they saw the feed bucket they started singing and everybody else came running out. I was a little afraid of what I'd fine in the coop, but nothing. After my disaster early in the week everybody has been fine.

I've done stuff like that too, usually a change in routine or a change in daylight savings time triggers it. So far it has worked out OK but I'm just one predator away from a disaster story. Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah my hens are temperamental about the weather (heat/cold) and we usually gett good eggs in the spring and fall.

Thank goodness everybody was okay! I have had to go out in the middle of the night and double check that I've locked up properly before on days I just wasn't sure if I did or not. I have yet to actually forget to lock up yet, but I know it's bound to happen.

Back
Top Bottom