Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
We've had 7 silkies living the opposite side of the yard since March. Now they are almost 5 months old and winter is coming so...we shut the door to their temp coop. I got the sunflower hearts bag out (ultimate treat) and got them down to the coop. Getting them into the chicken door took a little maneuvering, but we
have a kennel off that they went in, so at least we got 'em close. After they went into the coop via me putting them in through the chicken door, I went in the coop, and shoved the old ones down, picked each one of these up, and set them up on top.

integration day.jpg

I think a couple wondered why they didn't get to go in a nest.

integration day-1.jpg

The older ones on the other side have free-ranged in the same areas as these for months, but when they came into their coop, there was a lot of gawking! Robert the rooster stood in the middle, playing peacekeeper.

This was day 1. I'll let them all out in the morning, and they'll split up into their separate areas of the yard, and then we'll do this all over again tonight; hopefully a little smoother. We've done it a couple of times before other years, and the 4th day was a charm.

That is horse bedding pellets in the nest boxes in case you were wondering, and two of the older ones are molting. When they're done, we'll use a leaf blower.

We've had 7 silkies living the opposite side of the yard since March. Now they are almost 5 months old and winter is coming so...we shut the door to their temp coop. I got the sunflower hearts bag out (ultimate treat) and got them down to the coop. Getting them into the chicken door took a little maneuvering, but we
have a kennel off that they went in, so at least we got 'em close. After they went into the coop via me putting them in through the chicken door, I went in the coop, and shoved the old ones down, picked each one of these up, and set them up on top.

View attachment 3646278
I think a couple wondered why they didn't get to go in a nest.

View attachment 3646284

The older ones on the other side have free-ranged in the same areas as these for months, but when they came into their coop, there was a lot of gawking! Robert the rooster stood in the middle, playing peacekeeper.

This was day 1. I'll let them all out in the morning, and they'll split up into their separate areas of the yard, and then we'll do this all over again tonight; hopefully a little smoother. We've done it a couple of times before other years, and the 4th day was a charm.

That is horse bedding pellets in the nest boxes in case you were wondering, and two of the older ones are molting. When they're done, we'll use a leaf blower.
This morning, I opened the chicken door and two were at the door, so must've been pushed off or jumped off the top. There is a ramp, but last night I just picked them up and put them up there. I went in to show the other five how to go down the ramp and they did great. Everyone's free-ranging in their own groups still, but it'll take a while yet for them to become just one.

Two of those seven are roosters, and I have one old rooster, so there's going to be some power struggles coming. :pop

This morning, I opened the chicken door and two were at the door, so must've been pushed off or jumped off the top. There is a ramp, but last night I just picked them up and put them up there. I went in to show the other five how to go down the ramp and they did great. Everyone's free-ranging in their own groups still, but it'll take a while yet for them to become just one.

Two of those seven are roosters, and I have one old rooster, so there's going to be some power struggles coming. :pop
Have they made peace and become one group yet? :)

Have they made peace and become one group yet? :)
Not 100% yet but there's been no bullying other than one or two of my old hens who won't let them near them, even now, but they dust bathe in my flower beds together. :rolleyes:

They still free-range in separate groups. The old roo comes around them nicely but they just walk away from him. There are 2 roos in this group of 7 young ones, so that's 3 roos for 11 hens and no fights, yet. Crossing fingers! The old roo is around 5 or 6 and showing his age so I think we'll be down to two soon.

Not 100% yet but there's been no bullying other than one or two of my old hens who won't let them near them, even now, but they dust bathe in my flower beds together. :rolleyes:

They still free-range in separate groups. The old roo comes around them nicely but they just walk away from him. There are 2 roos in this group of 7 young ones, so that's 3 roos for 11 hens and no fights, yet. Crossing fingers! The old roo is around 5 or 6 and showing his age so I think we'll be down to two soon.
How are they at roosting time?

Back
Top Bottom