I forgot to feed the chickens...

zachslc

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
Salt Lake City
I don't need to fill my feeder very often, but last week I went out and found it empty. It may ahve been empty for a day or two, in which time they would have had some scratch grain thrown at them. Since then only one of my four chickens has been laying and as recently as two weeks ago I was getting three eggs a day. I have ruled out hiding/ eating/predators. Will they lay again, or is it time to make soup?

Yes, yes, I know I should have been more attentive, it is my own fault, the poor chickens, etc.

Thanks.

If the hens stopped their lay because of you letting them run out of food, and that condition lasted for a while, then it will take some time for them to resume laying. You stressed them out by denying them their food and their bodies can actually absorb the eggs they had in process.

It can take some time for their bodies to recover. Up their protein levels and they will get back to laying sooner.

Oh thank goodness I saw your post and the reply above 😓! I forgot to take my girls feeder port covers off and I don't know how many days they were denied..😭 3 girls of our 6 typically lay 1 egg a day but today we only had 2 laid..😭😭😭 I feel terrible. And I hope they'll be okay

Back
Top Bottom