I forgot when I started my eggs!

australorp_breeder

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
California
Okay, so here's what's going on. I got my incubator set up and put the eggs in on the 23rd. However! I was messing around with the temperature quite a bit until the 25th. I know the last three days you aren't suppose to turn them so I'm not sure which date to go by. Do you think the eggs already started on the 23rd?

Sorry I wasn't specific. I've been candling almost every day, things are looking great! And what I meant by messing around was it kept moving from different temperatures in the 90's. When my mom was turning the eggs today she accidentally cracked one so I was able to fully see how far the chicks are. Their eyes are big black dots, and they have points for their wings. I could also see their feet a bit, and their beak.

Last edited:
I had a hen that just kept stealing eggs from my other girls while setting. After most of them hatched I took the rest and put them in the bator. I have no idea when the last 4 are do but the last one that hatched pipped while still in the turner. I have three in lockdown now and one is piped just a couple hours after moving from the turner. So I hope that you will be fine as long as you get close.

What's the reason you don't turn the eggs the last three days?

And would I stop turning the 18th day, or stop the 19th day? Because if I stop the 18th technically I would be counting that day and it would make it four days instead of three. Unless you don't count the day they're actually suppose to hatch.

Generally, it's 3 days. But 4 or 5 days won't affect your hatch rate. I think the most important time to turn is during day 3-11. You don't turn the eggs the first few days because you want the egg to settle in while starting development. After day 3 or so, you want to turn the egg everyday to prevent the inside from sticking to the shell. Once the embryo is more develop (at around day 11 or so after) turning is not as important. You want to stop turning a few days before expected hatch so that the chick can orientate themselves correctly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom