I found a bunny

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muddyhorse, Nov 16, 2009.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    We had been talking about getting a rabbit for our 6 year old daughter to show in 4-h this summer. something SMALL and SHORT HAIRED. mini-rex, mini satin siameese. so yesterday my husband found this hopping up the driveway
    [​IMG]
    why do they always find me why ???
    So what kind is it ? I didn't find any fleas or flea dirt, but what do you de flea with. It's fur is matted I guess I will have to shave it, any tips ? what about worming it ? I have a rabbit book. yea one more mouth to feed [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am not a bunny expert and I may be wrong but it looks like either an angora or a lion head. If you can get your fingers between the mat and the skin, you can trim out the mats. I used to have Angoras and they need to be brushed and combed a lot to avoid the mats. But once you have the mats out, then you can either shave it and let it all grown or you can just let it be.

How come I can't find a cute bunny hopping up my driveway ?????

ETA, be very careful if there are mats close to the skin or near the tail, make sure you feel very well to make sure that you dont accidentally cut the skin. Been there, done that!

There are tons of bunny people on here, I am sure someone will help you soon!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    He looks Like a lionhead to me .. Wormer would defintly be a good idea.. Some good food/alfafa and maybe a good brushing.. If there are mats close to the skin I have had good luck with using a thinning blade ... I wouldnt immediatly shave it .. I have had bunnies suprise me when they get feeling better they can groom some tough stuff out... Try the thinning blade and give a few days... You want to be careful as they can have thin skin under mats.... Good luck ... I wish I could have a bunny walk up to me ...

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    That is one cute little bunny! I can't wait to see some after pictures!

We found our bunnies in a similar situation. Someone abandoned them where we work. Luckily they don't eat a whole lot. [​IMG]

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Make sure to post FOUND signs. Many people loose their small animals just like they loose their large animals. We found a ferret once and kept it for two weeks before someone called and claimed it. Described it's marking and the collar it was wearing. Slipped out the house while it was playing.

Other than that, he probably needs a good worming and a shaving to be rid of those mats.

6. muddyhorse

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I have called the neighbors and nobody claimed it. I'll post some fliers. The bunny is going to the vet tomorrow for a check up.

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Go and register at BackYardHerds.com and ask the rabbit people for help. Also, though I kept rabbits as a child and had to feed, water and clean up after them, I ended up doing total care for the two (unwanted) rabbits that my DD's wanted but lost interest in. (Had to care for them as they aged and died, and buried them in our pet cemetary, too.) They can live up to 10 years, you know. If you can monitor your daughter as she cares for him/her (have you looked? male rabbits are OBVIOUS,) it would be a great experience for her, and then you'd be sure that he/she really got fed!

8. muddyhorse

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    kaylee is responsible for caring for her silkies and is very good about it. I do keep a close eye on the animals. I think someone turned it loose because the long hair was more work than they barganed for.

9. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Quote:I agree with this. Chances are this is an escaped pet that could be missed. Rabbits are notorious little escape artists. Look for an owner first. Worry about keeping it later. Ask your neighbors if they know who it belongs to.

It looks like a lion head to me.

10. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Also, bunnies don't really need to go to the vet for a chechup. google the 4h rabbit showmanship guidelines. that will show you how to do a quick and simple bunny checkup. Most rabbits are bred to be healthy, and really don't need them. Most vets know nothing about the health of rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by