I found a bunny

I am always shocked at how many people turn rabbits loose when they are done having them for pets because they are "wild animals." I certainly hope that this one got away and you can find the owner, but if not, that coat will take a bit of effort!

We have really enjoyed rabbits as pets, three different rabbits indoors and our current two outdoors (my present dog would eat them). The best thing we did for them, health and personality wise, was to have them spayed and neutered. Obviously this won't work for show rabbits, but for pets, man does it make an improvement in personality, stop urine marking, and eliminate reproductive cancers, especially in the females.

One of my indoor rabbits was a pregnant female, obviously a former pet Dutch (in rough shape, thin and hungry but very tame). She was dropped off at the vet clinic I worked at after being found hanging around a grocery store, and I kept her...she went on to have EIGHT babies! Four of them were little Dutch bunnies, and the other four were giant, brown rabbits, with really long ears and big feet. I kept the runt and her mom, they were really fun little pets.

Enjoy your bunny!
smile.png

You can bathe the bunny in Dawn dishwashing liquid and that will kill the fleas. You can also use Advantage for cats under 8 lbs on rabbits. That's what I put on my bunny when he's outside in the summer. As for the mats the easiest way would be to force a molt by putting the bunny outside in the cold in a cage for a week but sheltered from the rain or snow and then bringing him/her inside where it's warm. This will cause him/her to start shedding the undercoat and that will help release the mats so when you brush the coat the mats will come out. Or you can shave but their skin is very thin and easily cut so just be very careful. Generally you shouldn't have to worm your rabbit unless you see runny stools or they are losing weight even with plenty to eat. Make sure you provide lots of timothy hay for eating and your bunny should be fine.

One thing you might want to consider if you decide to keep your bunny is getting him or her fixed. Rabbits become more aggressive when they are unaltered and if you have kids then you don't want an aggressive bunny. It's rather expensive to get them spayed or neutered but you can probably find a rabbit rescue agency that will help you pay for the cost.

i took the rabbit to the vet yesterday. It is now a shaved bunny. the vet said its whole underside was matted with feces. He said it had to have been sitting in poo for a long time to get that bad. He (yes he) also had a severe case of earmites. the vet gave him a shot of antibiotics because he he was worried about secondary infection.

Pictures of 'Brutis" are coming. I all ready made the apointment to get him neutered. I heard through the grapevine that one of our neighbors turned some bunnies lose last week because she was tired of taking care of them
rant.gif
. I would love it if the pet stores put warning labels on animals. " warning will live 10 years " ect ect... meanwhile the ear mite meds continue
tongue.png

I'm glad to hear you're keeping the little guy! What awful people, to just turn tame rabbits loose instead of finding them a home!

My old rabbit developed earmites last week, I was able to treat them VERY successfully with a teeny-tiny dose of Revolution, so if your earmite meds aren't working well, talk to your vet if you need a "plan B."

Back
Top Bottom