I found a chicken on the side of the road.

Pattihayes

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
I found an Easter Egger on the side of state hwy 150 in Greenville Indiana. She looked like she wasn't injured just really cold or freezing. I had a hard time getting her to not run into the hwy and at one time she did just inches from being hit by a semi. I called vets that would not take her and then the animal shelter that said if I caught her they would take her. If a hen has been out in subzero temps for a really long time could all that could be wrong with her is that she was freezing? I had a friend come and corral her to me away from the road and she got all excited until I wrapped her in a blanket and was quiet and calm the whole ride to the shelter. Anyway. I hope she survives and if you all know of anyone in my area missing an Easter Egger hen, let me know.

I forgot to say... she would only move a foot or two at a time and then sit on the cold hard pavement. When she walked she seemed a little wobbly on her feet, like her energy was gone, but at a glance I could not see any injuries and once I had her in my arms I could tell she was okay with people. Either that or just so thankful to be off the cold pavement and wrapped in something warm. I am going by the shelter tomorrow to pick up my blanket. It belongs to my dog who uses it when we travel so I keep it in the car. I will check on her then and let anyone know that is interested or knows where she might belong how she is.

I adopted an easter egger too. They must like to run away.
welcome-byc.gif
Thanks for joining!

I am hoping to find her owner. I can't have chickens where I live and frankly I don't know the first thing about them. If she is more than just a laying hen to someone and is actually a loved pet, I hope I can get her back home. She couldn't have run far. We had temps well below zero with wind chill last night. Heard it was windchill -20. I found her this morning on my way home from my 3rd shift job.

images
to BYC!

You are a wonderful person for saving her. :)

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom