I found a chicken on the side of the road.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pattihayes, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Pattihayes

Pattihayes New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    I found an Easter Egger on the side of state hwy 150 in Greenville Indiana. She looked like she wasn't injured just really cold or freezing. I had a hard time getting her to not run into the hwy and at one time she did just inches from being hit by a semi. I called vets that would not take her and then the animal shelter that said if I caught her they would take her. If a hen has been out in subzero temps for a really long time could all that could be wrong with her is that she was freezing? I had a friend come and corral her to me away from the road and she got all excited until I wrapped her in a blanket and was quiet and calm the whole ride to the shelter. Anyway. I hope she survives and if you all know of anyone in my area missing an Easter Egger hen, let me know.

2. Pattihayes

Pattihayes New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    I forgot to say... she would only move a foot or two at a time and then sit on the cold hard pavement. When she walked she seemed a little wobbly on her feet, like her energy was gone, but at a glance I could not see any injuries and once I had her in my arms I could tell she was okay with people. Either that or just so thankful to be off the cold pavement and wrapped in something warm. I am going by the shelter tomorrow to pick up my blanket. It belongs to my dog who uses it when we travel so I keep it in the car. I will check on her then and let anyone know that is interested or knows where she might belong how she is.

3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    I adopted an easter egger too. They must like to run away.
    [​IMG] Thanks for joining!

4. Pattihayes

Pattihayes New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    I am hoping to find her owner. I can't have chickens where I live and frankly I don't know the first thing about them. If she is more than just a laying hen to someone and is actually a loved pet, I hope I can get her back home. She couldn't have run far. We had temps well below zero with wind chill last night. Heard it was windchill -20. I found her this morning on my way home from my 3rd shift job.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - well done on saving that hen.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope someone adopts her

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

You are a wonderful person for saving her. :)

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

8. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you hopped aboard. :)

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by