I found a chicken

Chickenlover88

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2007
Dallas, Georgia
Well I was driving home from my grandmother's house and spotted a giant white chicken in the road. I turned right around when I got a chance and brought it home. (this is a 1 1/2 hour drive by the way). I believe she fell out of a truck. She has several injuries, a missing toe, a missing eye, and a scrape on her beak. From what I can see I believe she is a broiler but she seems grown and isn't young like most of the broilers that are in trucks. Despite her injuries she is still peppy and walking or should I say waddling around. I think i'm going to let her live her life out here. Any suggestions? Right now she is in a giant box but I plan on putting her in a large dog kennel.
When I first got home. Her toe was actually hanging on by one tiny piece of skin so I just clipped it off.
DSCF3432.jpg

Today, You can't see but I wrapped the injured foot so it won't get anything dirty in it.
DSCF3443.jpg

God Bless you for helping this poor baby. If she is a broiler she might not live very long but the alternative would not have been nice either. Good luck on her recovery. I live in a town that has lots of chicken processors and see chickens dead on the road all the time, I'm glad you were able to save her.......... Laura

Yeah my grandmother lives in a very small town and the blood on this girl was very fresh so it must have happened just a few minutes before I found her.

Thank you so very much for rescuing her.
love.gif

It sickens me how these poor innocent beings are treated. Now she will know what love and caring feels like, probably for the first time in her life. THANK YOU THANK YOU.
JJ

As to suggestions, I'm sure you are already giving her peace and quiet and food and water and this probably feels like heaven to her. Topical antibiotic on the boo boos. The eye - I don't know if it's a recent injury that might need some medical intervention.....that left foot looks worrisome.......oh, this poor girl. Maybe with all her boo boos she could use some aspirin in her water - FIVE 325 mg tablets crushed per gallon of water (only if she's not bleeding significantly and if you don't fear internal bleeding from injury).

Any where around here that my job takes me, I see those trucks slammed full of white chickens, I can't even look, have to turn my head away. I do wonder how they could be all over the road like they are since those slats look so narrow, how could they get out? Guess yours squeezed through somehow...geez just thinking about how badly that meant that she wanted to live makes me re-evaluate my eating choices....I really have a feeling I am moving toward a life of sprouts.....thank you for rescuing her, I have never seen a live one on the road, lucky her that it was you that came along. Have a great day, I'm sure you will have a blessing for what you've done. Darlene

Quote:
Besides my farm I drive an 18 wheeler for a feed mill for turkeys and chickens and we have about 30 trucks that do live haul. The reason you see them on the road like this is they are put on the trucks so quickly by about 8 different guys they do not always get all of the cage doors completely latched and they jar open going down the road. They have to do this very fast because they can only load 1 side of the truck at a time then move the truck in the opposite direction to load the other side, which is dangerous in itself because all the weight is on one side and is very easy to flip the truck over turning it around. If it is all not completed fast enough then the chickens will pile up on each other and suffocate. Not just making excuses for them because I don't particularly like it myself, which is one reason why I raise my own. But the company owners look only at the money aspect of it they are not the least bit concerned about the ones they loose due to this.

thank you for helping her. not many people would have stopped and picked her up off of the road. guess her guardian chicken angel was working overtime that night! please post updates on her progress.
cute dog btw!

She should clean up just fine. We had a one legged one eyed hen we called Tippit and she was a blessing for years.
It always lifted our spirits to see Tippit hopping around the back yard making the best of life despite her challenges! She was a genltle bird.

3 since you are seeking for proof of the Christ who speaks in me, and who is not weak toward you, but mighty in you.
4 For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we will live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you.

2 Cor. 13:3&4

Aww how very sweet of you to turn around and bring her home.
On the plus side, other than her small injuries she looks to be in pretty good health......
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom