I found a chicken

wow!
she is really pretty.
i totally heart her!
love.gif

how lucky that you found each other right?
and so cute about the hairdryer/egg in lap story! that's one for the books right?

Thanks for the info Beeky, that makes sense now related to the numerous dead ones I see in the roadways. There are several chicken plants in NC, Purdue is a big one nearby and there is a processing plant by another company in Raeford, so those trucks crammed full of chickens are everywhere around here. Kind of ironic that they would worry about suffocation when the chickens are going to slaughter anyway, but that does make sense I guess.
Chickenlover 88, she is looking so much better!! Amazing what a little love and security will do!! Does she have any other chicken friends at your house? If not, better get some!! See, that's what we do here, love, support and enable the addiction, lol!!!

She's looking better already! Have you named her? Does she mind being handled? Questions, questions, sorry--I just want to know if she perks up when she sees you. Keeps up posted, I love happy stories.
jumpy.gif

I'm sure she thanks you, and hopefully will enjoy what life really should be like for a hen. Grass, sun, the simple life. She seems mellow but could still be stressed over it all. Is she eating well and such? Should she have any anitbiotics due to the toe loss or should she be fine?

Stephanie

If she is already laying then she is most likely not a broiler raised for meat, but a production hen that has outlived her 'high production' days, or a breeder - same thing.

She was probably on her way to slaughter having outlived her cost effectiveness at the egg or breeder production facility.

Glad to hear she is looking better!

Yes she has to be a breeder then. The meat birds transported are generally 46 to 56 days old and she is obviously way past that! She will be mostly white rock with a bit of Orpington from what I hear.

Congradulations on a job well done!

I'm glad you saved her! That's another reason why I raise my own birds...I know they've had a full life. They are completely free to run around on my enormous ranch, then in the evening I come around on my bicycle to round up the stragglers who forgot to come back to the shed (those two geese someone gave away to me never did do anything about that..I fed them off). The hens are taught to use the layboxes, but they are perfectly free to hatch chicks if they go broody. I only collect eggs to throw away..so..yea.

Thanks for saving that poor birdie!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. No I don't have any other chickens right now. She weighs 12 pounds. She is a lucky girl. How old are these breeders before they are sent to slaughter?

Back
Top Bottom