I found a 'free to good home' add today online and I'm so excited! - NEW PICS!

Geese were alive and well when I checked on them this morning!

Miss Lydia - the only real threat to the geese out here are our red foxes. That is what I was most worried about.... I knew that as long as the geese stayed close to the dam that they would be kind of safe. I was worried sick though!!!!

Solution to geese that won't go to bed at night - I am gong to build them a 'pontoon' out in the middle of the dam! A floating island so that they can sleep out there if they wish. I'll put a drum on it so they can nest out there too!

Congratulations on your geese, they are so cute!

FYI, I've raised goslings (for Christmas) three years and they have all wanted to stay outside as soon as they were adults. They stayed in their little kiddie pool at night, I guess it made them feel safer. I knew red foxes were in the area, but I'd had no problems with them and had never seen one myself. My present goose also slept outside the first year, but about a month ago a fox found him. Luckily, I was still up and heard the raucous. I chased the fox away; the goose was unharmed (and not nearly as alarmed as he is now by the frogs in his pool
big_smile.png
). But I found a lot of his neck feathers the next morning, so the fox had definitely tried to kill him, and he's sleeping in his house now.

Foxes don't like water, but they can swim. They can't outswim a goose if the dam is big enough - my pond isn't, and luckily the goose loves his house now and goes there as soon as it starts getting dark.

I wish you good luck and great joy with your geese!

hi thegoosegirl! Thanks for sharing your account of dealing with the red fox! My dam is quite big (10 X 20 mtrs?). I'd hope that the foxes wouldn't get desperate enough to swim around in circles after my geese!
hmm.png
but I suppose you can never be too sure! I have seen foxes swim before (we do a fair bit of hunting in the winter months). One swam across quite a big drain once to try and get away from the dogs.

Hubby and I tried to get the geese to go into their house tonight but the moment they suspected what we were doing they bolted for the dam and swam around! Naughty things! It has been raining here since I got them so I haven't had much time to sit out there and gain their trust. Maybe once I gain their trust they will be easier to get inside!

I've tried treats and everything... but I suppose that the food they have been foraging for here is tastier than what they would have found at their old home so they are not hungry yet!

Geese were alive and well when I checked on them this morning!

Miss Lydia - the only real threat to the geese out here are our red foxes. That is what I was most worried about.... I knew that as long as the geese stayed close to the dam that they would be kind of safe. I was worried sick though!!!!

Solution to geese that won't go to bed at night - I am gong to build them a 'pontoon' out in the middle of the dam! A floating island so that they can sleep out there if they wish. I'll put a drum on it so they can nest out there too!
Sounds like a plan, hope it works out.

Sounds like the dam is plenty big for the geese to flee into. Mine is only 2 X 2 metres. If I had a dam the size of yours and the geese stayed in it at night, I wouldn't worry much about foxes. It seems they already know it's a safe place to go when someone's chasing them!
lol.png

My husband and I have fallen totally in love with the geese. They are such sweet creatures and just want to be near us. Today they popped up in the front yard because we had left the back paddock gate open and they grazed the lawn while we watched them through the windows.

The male 'Ollie' eats out of my hand! According to his old owner, only the female would come up close enough to take a treat. Ollie comes up and plays with my shoes and makes such lovely noises and talks to me. I think they are both just such beautiful animals.

I've organised another pair of pilgrim geese. I just couldn't help myself! I'll be paying for these guys.... but they will help to build a nice family unit. I have so much room and just adore watching this current pair swimming and roaming around the dam.

I love our geese too! And they are habit forming -- watch out : ) Don't know why they aren't better thought of here -- just for mowing alone I'd keep geese. Your's look very content with that nice pond . . . we only have a seasonal one but my goal is to put in a permanent pond for the geese / ducks and wildlife . . .

Congrats on your new geese. I have to say you are going to fall deeper and deeper in love with them. We have chickens, ducks and dogs, our geese r our favorites. We have pilgrims too!

Back
Top Bottom