I found out why there were less eggs since it got warm.....

OkChickens

Orpingtons Are Us
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Owasso, Oklahoma
My egg production went from 12 a day from my Welsummer to 4-5 and i was getting really irritated. So today I went in my Welsummer coop and I went to collect eggs and I found a 4 1/2 foot black rat snake hanging in the nest box trying to eat an egg. I wan really suprised and didnt think it was real until it moved. Well I made sure to de-head it. I would have not killed it if i didnt have young chicks running around but I dont want to lose anymore eggs or chicks!

Has anyone have this happen to them?

Nate

My cousin did last year, she had a drastic decline and then found a very happy black snake in the nest box. He also got a disconnect notice right then!

WOW! Hope you did't find it by reaching in the box! '
ep.gif
' I haven't had snake problems yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I've seen them in previous (pre-chicken) years.

I would have dropped to the ground and lost control of my bodily functions if I saw a snake in the box when I was reaching in to collect the eggs, LOL!
sickbyc.gif
Just the sight of one in there would mean that I definitely would NOT be the one collecting the eggs for a while.

Yeah it made a really good friend to Mr. Shovel. They bonded really well but the shovel over did it I think! Anyways one less snake to steal my eggs!

Tis the season for golf balls in the nest boxes!

Nate

This will be my first time having a real chicken coop. I think I should have started reading from a different forum though. Now that I am thinking about snakes, I am thinking that collecting eggs may be my husband's job.
wink.png

Do they bother the chickens themselves or do they realize that the chickens are their egg source?
Where about in the country do you live? I am thinking Bull and Rattlers are the favorite snakes around here in Wyoming. What are the black snakes?

I won't kill a non poisonous snake but let me catch a rattler in a coop and you'll see an old lady do the snake dance with her shovel right quick! Cha Cha Cha! Whack Whack Whack!

Quote:
Hahahahha, I thought, wow that is a really thin yellow snake.
hide.gif
Look past the extension cord. Haha. What kind of snake is that? Its huge! Luckily I dont think we have anything that big up here.

7L Seriously??? Generally not afraid of snakes, but that kinda freaks me out a little! What kind was it?

Back
Top Bottom