I found something interesting today...

I converted an old 8 by 10 metal shed into my coop, for less than $10...(complete with windows) and the birds are happy as clams.
I scratch my head when I hear about $3-500 coops...what?
Why not buy them all diamond broaches?
Or get a chicken butler... full time of course, to cater to their every whim?
I have 10 chickens, and 17 pullets growing like weeds and they all run to me whenever they see me, so yes they are probably all just as spoiled as yours....
And yes they are more fun than watching tv and very addictive.
But a $500 coop... ain't going to happen any time soon around here.
Your mileage may vary of course, depending on if you have more money than common sense.

Quote:
Aw, come on. We all like to have fun our own way. And some like to have a coop that looks nice in the neighborhood and some like mere functionality. More power to everyone.

As for the rest..... if I thought my ducks would get use out of a diamond brooch, I would.

I am the duck butler. And I enjoy it.

Your choice on what you want to spend on a coop, same as everyone else.
No need to be rude about it. Common sense is never the same to everyone. That is where your mileage will vary.
tongue.png

But a $500 coop... ain't going to happen any time soon around here.
Your mileage may vary of course, depending on if you have more money than common sense.

Maybe not rude, how about perplexed? We all decide what we will spend our money on. I worked for years, raised my kids, retired and now I'm doing what I want for me. I don't drink, run around, buy lots of clothes, go out to eat, go our to movies and we have one vehicle--I spend my money to make my house and yard look nice and the coop is part of my yard. People that have larger pieces of land perhaps don't have the coop right up next to the house/outside entertainment area, but I do, so I want it to look nice.

My common sense tells me that a yard that cost a small fortune wouldn't look as good next to a weird coop, so I spent the money to keep my yard looking nice and my 'ickens warm and cozy.

I have other pets too--dogs, cats, other birds, horses--and my common sense tells me to spend the money it takes to keep them properly. I pay something over $1300 a month for food, vets, boarding and training. I don't think I lack common sense, nor so far do I lack the money to do what I want.

I know a lot of people that spend their money the way I wouldn't, but it's their money and as long as they're not coming to take some of mine away to make up for their lack of planning or whatever, I don't much care what they do.​

I overbuilt the crap out of my coop, but I wanted it to be sturdy and well insulated. I also wanted it to be an attractive addition to my back yard.

The coops in the OP are cute, but small, and probably not at all insulated.

I can understand that not everyone wants to spent a lot of money on a coop, but I don't think it's necessary to "dis" those of us that do.

Just to let you know. I also read somewhere that they do not make them themselves, but order them from another source outside of the United states. Where as other companies actuallly do make them themselves.
Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

Back
Top Bottom