1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I get my chickens Monday!!! Shopping list question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DianeS, Sep 23, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm so excited!!! Four Rhode Island Red hens, between point of lay and 18 months of age (varied ages in that range). Yay!

That gives me three days to finish the coop. The folks on the coop building threads assure me that my "hardware cloth box" will do for a couple weeks, as I add on to it with solid walls and closable windows.

I've been looking for RIR hens for several months now, and finally found some! Everyone else either had younger than I wanted (they need to go straight outside without a heat lamp), or they didn't have all four (I have no facilities for quarantine, all four need to come from the same flock). So.... I'm driving 2.5 hours each way to get these! They better be pretty special birds!

On to my question - about my shopping list. This weekend I believe I need to purchase:

Layer feed
    Oyster shell
    Grit
    Straw/pine shavings (for bottom of coop, I'll be doing deep litter method)
    Diatomaceous Earth

And I need to make sure the waterer and feeder are in working order in case I need to buy new ones.

Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance!

2. rottdog

rottdog Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    birdville,florida
    how about something to put the feed and water in:thumbsup. and don't forget something for treats..[​IMG]

3. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a great list, I'd add:

A bag of black oil sunflower seeds.

Plastic eggs to put into the nest boxes so they learn where the right place to go to lay an egg is (or use golf balls).

Sand for outside of the coop/run.

4. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    if the chickens have access to dirt or sand you don't need to buy grit special. they will just pick up what they need from off the ground.

5. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    I also do the deep layer method, I use pine shavings, peat moss. I don't use the straw, from what I understand unless it's chopped up it'll just mat up and it holds the liquid. Found that out the hard way with my first batch of roasters.

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I hang a suet cage in the run that I put greens in. It's not necessary but it keeps them busy for a while.

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I'll be the dark cloud and say a Shotgun, if not that some different size Havahart Traps. [​IMG]

8. Lots of love [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

While you are at the feed store, it is helpful to pick up an antibiotic for chickens in case of infection, a wormer just in case of worms, and a poultry dust in case of mites or lice.

I have had to run to the store in a frenzy to get medicine before it closes, and it isn't fun (unless you live close in, and a trip to the feed store isn't a big deal).

10. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:I hear you, but I can't shoot a gun in the city limits. But I can rent a Havahart trap easily and quickly.

BOSS - check
    antibiotic and other meds - check

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by