I give up... What is she? (Grey Bantam Hen)

RanchHens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Central Texas
Hello All,

After nearly six months of searching the internet and every chicken book I can find; I have come to you, Oh Great Chicken Keepers, and humbly ask that you tell me what breed my precious Dovey could be.

This little girl came with a group of mixed bantams and quickly wormed her way into my heart with her friendly demeanor and her sweet cooing. (Don't tell the other hens, but she's my favorite.) However, I have no idea what she might be. She and another hen we bought are this beautiful smoke color, with dark grey lacing.

Dovey has the white feathers around her neck and little Stormy, who didn't get her picture taken today because she was laying an egg, had dark grey feathers around her neck. For quite a while I thought the two were a male/female pair, but as she matured she was obviously not a rooster!

Stormy is a little more upright in her body, where as Dovey is typically more level in her carriage; Stormy also sports a much more impressive comb.

(Sorry for the turned picture. I hate technology.)

Last edited:
Im afraid i cant be much help on breed (i dont have experience with blue birds) but she is an absolute beauty! Her shape almost looks like a game bird, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chimw in.

I have a roo that was supposed to be a pullet, but we cannot figure out what breed he is. He is skinny and tall, but still young. Absolutely a jumpy thing - we named him "Rocket J. Rooster" because he is so squirrely!

Our two older hens are big and we thought they were Delawares, but I believe they may be Brahmas.

The other girls (younger) are supposed to be Brahmas, but I have been told they are possibly a cross. Big guy on the left is a roo, but born with no primary tailfeathers. Brown girl is a Speckled Sussex. Any ideas?

We have mostly had Araucanas til now and we are at a loss. I have a friend who orders large lots and we get some of her "leftovers" so we are sometimes confused!

Any help is appreciated!

I have a roo that was supposed to be a pullet, but we cannot figure out what breed he is. He is skinny and tall, but still young. Absolutely a jumpy thing - we named him "Rocket J. Rooster" because he is so squirrely! Our two older hens are big and we thought they were Delawares, but I believe they may be Brahmas. The other girls (younger) are supposed to be Brahmas, but I have been told they are possibly a cross. Big guy on the left is a roo, but born with no primary tailfeathers. Brown girl is a Speckled Sussex. Any ideas? We have mostly had Araucanas til now and we are at a loss. I have a friend who orders large lots and we get some of her "leftovers" so we are sometimes confused! Any help is appreciated!
First rooster looks to be Egyptian Famouis(sp?) The 2 hens are delawares, cooloring is a light light The 2 brahmas look like they maybe a cross of dark and light coloring. Hen looks more like a light and the rooster like a dark

Back
Top Bottom