I give up... What is she? (Grey Bantam Hen)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RanchHens, Sep 7, 2013.

1. RanchHens

RanchHens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Central Texas
    Hello All,

After nearly six months of searching the internet and every chicken book I can find; I have come to you, Oh Great Chicken Keepers, and humbly ask that you tell me what breed my precious Dovey could be.

This little girl came with a group of mixed bantams and quickly wormed her way into my heart with her friendly demeanor and her sweet cooing. (Don't tell the other hens, but she's my favorite.) However, I have no idea what she might be. She and another hen we bought are this beautiful smoke color, with dark grey lacing.

Dovey has the white feathers around her neck and little Stormy, who didn't get her picture taken today because she was laying an egg, had dark grey feathers around her neck. For quite a while I thought the two were a male/female pair, but as she matured she was obviously not a rooster!

Stormy is a little more upright in her body, where as Dovey is typically more level in her carriage; Stormy also sports a much more impressive comb.

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the turned picture. I hate technology.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Im afraid i cant be much help on breed (i dont have experience with blue birds) but she is an absolute beauty! Her shape almost looks like a game bird, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chimw in.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I believe the color is called blue birchen, or maybe blue silver.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

5. RanchHens

RanchHens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Central Texas
    I think you guys nailed it! This forum always amazes me!

Veer67 the picture you posted looks just like Stormy (except that shes and OEG, not a Modern).

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Actually, she's an Old English Game Bantam.
    [​IMG]

7. Aliaslucyvp

Aliaslucyvp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Udall, KS
    I have a roo that was supposed to be a pullet, but we cannot figure out what breed he is. He is skinny and tall, but still young. Absolutely a jumpy thing - we named him "Rocket J. Rooster" because he is so squirrely!
    [​IMG]

Our two older hens are big and we thought they were Delawares, but I believe they may be Brahmas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other girls (younger) are supposed to be Brahmas, but I have been told they are possibly a cross. Big guy on the left is a roo, but born with no primary tailfeathers. Brown girl is a Speckled Sussex. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

We have mostly had Araucanas til now and we are at a loss. I have a friend who orders large lots and we get some of her "leftovers" so we are sometimes confused!

Any help is appreciated!

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    First rooster looks to be Egyptian Famouis(sp?) The 2 hens are delawares, cooloring is a light light The 2 brahmas look like they maybe a cross of dark and light coloring. Hen looks more like a light and the rooster like a dark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by