I Give Up!!

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
Hi, this is my first time raising chickens and it hasn't been a pleasent hobby like I anticipated it to be... I have 5 pullets around 10-7 wks... Then I have 2 in the brooder.. Almost everyone of them is sneezing ... In the last few months I treated for cocci, worms, and now sneezing... I've been injecting Tylan 50, something I never thought I could do... I've finished the 7 days for the big girls and they are still sneezing!!

My 2 four week old are sneezing.. So it's be spread, prob off my clothes... Maybe airborne who knows..

I made the mistake of not culling one of my big chicks early on... I'm a newbie, I didn't know.... Then I made another mistake and put then outside on day when it was cold and windy so I could clean their coop... When I mean cold, I mean like 50's, with a heat lamp on them.... Not long after that I heard the first sneeze...... I used Tetramycin, which didn't do anything..... So I got Tylan50... They only symptoms that I have seen are or heard are kinda raspy voice, gaping, sneezing... A couple of them have either lost weight or just not gaining.. My 2 Aussies look like bantams ..
I have read ALOT of material on here about MG IB CRD and MAREKS... All of which have freaked me out.... Ive decided not to treat then anymore.... I will use Vet Rx and herbs garlic but no more antibotics....

I love my chickens and have spent a tremendous amount of time and money but it's getting ridiculous ... It shouldn't be this hard!! If I see that they are suffering I will cull my flock , wait , and start over.... I'm so mad this has happend to me on my first try... I clean the coop religiously, water 2x a day, feed..... They are all eating, seem happy, except maybe 1 who has always been a little off, they were free-ranging all day, well until it got too hot....

I had decided to have a closed flock bc I'm not selling, buying, or breeding and I don't know what they have.. I've fed medicated chick starter , non medicated, ff and fresh veggies... They seem to like the non medicated best and seemed to be growing better when on it.. Their poop is normal, their combs and wattles look dry, their skin looks dry.. I've also treated for mites/lice even though I haven't seen any... They are also loosing feathers...

Has anyone just NOT treated symptoms with antibotics? If so, did they recover? I feel bad , like I'm letting them down by not continuing to treat them but I can't afford it if it's going to be a on going issue.... Any advise is welcome ..

I'm so sorry -- I'm also new to chickens -- more so than you -- received 5 baby chicks on Wednesday and by Thursday at 3:45 am, we had already lost one.

As I'm now paranoid and freaking out every time one of the little gals falls asleep (the main symptom in our little one who died was lethargy), i've been reading tons (I had actually read for weeks before getting them but have started reading everything from scratch all over as its now much more REAL!). In my scouring of the internet for early symptoms of Cocci, I stumbled upon this site that has a bunch of organic and holistic suggestions -- I have no idea if they'll help but you may want to check them out (in addition to of course relying on all the great experts on BYC!). She had some great suggestions for Cocci as well as all sorts of natural herbs etc that can be used to ensure optimal health. here is a link to one of the articles http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/07/the-fear-factor-managing-concerns-about.html

I'm sorry. I know that the birds might not like the non-medicated more, but there are very important nutrients in that they need. I think if you provide them with good warm place and medicated feed their symptoms should clear up.

Another good thing to do is to purchase from a local breeder. Local breeders are often more likely to respond to an issue. If you purchase high quality chicks you might be getting better genetics as well.

Hi, this is my first time raising chickens and it hasn't been a pleasent hobby like I anticipated it to be... I have 5 pullets around 10-7 wks... Then I have 2 in the brooder.. Almost everyone of them is sneezing ... In the last few months I treated for cocci, worms, and now sneezing... I've been injecting Tylan 50, something I never thought I could do... I've finished the 7 days for the big girls and they are still sneezing!!

My 2 four week old are sneezing.. So it's be spread, prob off my clothes... Maybe airborne who knows..

I made the mistake of not culling one of my big chicks early on... I'm a newbie, I didn't know.... Then I made another mistake and put then outside on day when it was cold and windy so I could clean their coop... When I mean cold, I mean like 50's, with a heat lamp on them.... Not long after that I heard the first sneeze...... I used Tetramycin, which didn't do anything..... So I got Tylan50... They only symptoms that I have seen are or heard are kinda raspy voice, gaping, sneezing... A couple of them have either lost weight or just not gaining.. My 2 Aussies look like bantams ..
I have read ALOT of material on here about MG IB CRD and MAREKS... All of which have freaked me out.... Ive decided not to treat then anymore.... I will use Vet Rx and herbs garlic but no more antibotics....

I love my chickens and have spent a tremendous amount of time and money but it's getting ridiculous ... It shouldn't be this hard!! If I see that they are suffering I will cull my flock , wait , and start over.... I'm so mad this has happend to me on my first try... I clean the coop religiously, water 2x a day, feed..... They are all eating, seem happy, except maybe 1 who has always been a little off, they were free-ranging all day, well until it got too hot....

I had decided to have a closed flock bc I'm not selling, buying, or breeding and I don't know what they have.. I've fed medicated chick starter , non medicated, ff and fresh veggies... They seem to like the non medicated best and seemed to be growing better when on it.. Their poop is normal, their combs and wattles look dry, their skin looks dry.. I've also treated for mites/lice even though I haven't seen any... They are also loosing feathers...

Has anyone just NOT treated symptoms with antibotics? If so, did they recover? I feel bad , like I'm letting them down by not continuing to treat them but I can't afford it if it's going to be a on going issue.... Any advise is welcome ..

so far after reading what you wrote, you did everything you can do. only thing you should change is instead of injecting tylan 50. You should gave it orally in the mouth. 1cc per bird. injecting don't work that fast and it hurts the bird. Don't use tylan 50. Use tylan 200. 50 is like water. its cheaper but don't get the job done. use tylan 200. You can also use it as a eye drop to clear them bad eyes.

I'm so sorry -- I'm also new to chickens -- more so than you -- received 5 baby chicks on Wednesday and by Thursday at 3:45 am, we had already lost one.

As I'm now paranoid and freaking out every time one of the little gals falls asleep (the main symptom in our little one who died was lethargy), i've been reading tons (I had actually read for weeks before getting them but have started reading everything from scratch all over as its now much more REAL!).  In my scouring of the internet for early symptoms of Cocci, I stumbled upon this site that has a bunch of organic and holistic suggestions -- I have no idea if they'll help but you may want to check them out (in addition to of course relying on all the great experts on BYC!).  She had some great suggestions for Cocci as well as all sorts of natural herbs etc that can be used to ensure optimal health.  here is a link to one of the articles http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/07/the-fear-factor-managing-concerns-about.html

Lethargy is how the one I should have culled early on started out.... I know better now... Thank you for the link.

I'm sorry. I know that the birds might not like the non-medicated more, but there are very important nutrients in that they need. I think if you provide them with good warm place and medicated feed their symptoms should clear up.

Another good thing to do is to purchase from a local breeder. Local breeders are often more likely to respond to an issue. If you purchase high quality chicks you might be getting better genetics as well.

My plan all along was to learn from these, then upgrade.... It's hard finding people in my area, I guess I just don't know the right people... Lol. There is a teacher at my college I attend who sells organic eggs, and makes a nice living doing it.... I will eventually talk to her... She's had chickens for years..... I don't care to have "show" quality birds, I just want a functioning, healthy flock.,.., I let mine free range everyday so eventually some of are going to succumb to a predator ...I will get them vaccinated next round.... I've read a lot since getting these and will do things different next go round........

I'll still use corid for Cocci... I'm just not buying any more needles, syringes, or antibotics..... I will still feed them medicated starter.... If I go back on my word, I will buy Tylan200 and give it orally..... I just don't know if this is a one time thing, or fixing to be a on going issue.... In my gut I think long term.... We shall see... Thanks everyone for advise and links!!

Southern Weather !   Could be change in your weather. You are probably getting warm days, cool nights (cold last week?). I would keep warm, out of drafts for a few weeks.

YES!! Cold and rainy.. Then hot and humid... Last few days have been hot... But I let them outside one day when it was windy and cold... I had a heat lamp on them but it was still chilly... They started sneezing after that...

I was using pine at first... My husband is a little OCD about the yard and the pine was sooo dry and itchy.. When I put them out in the cold, I was cleaning coop and changing over to sand, which I LOVE!!

Back
Top Bottom