I got 2 new guineas, but how do I introduce them to my flock?

Pastel the Rooster

Free Ranging
Apr 22, 2022
Southern Georgia
I got two new guineas from a friend on Sunday, and right now I have them in a large cage that I built, in with my 8 baby guineas. I will see if I can post a picture of their setup tomorrow. I want to put them in with my 6 adult guineas, but I am worried that the new ones will try to run off to their old home if I put them in too soon. How do you suggest putting them in so no one gets hurt and the female does not go to the bottom of the pecking order like all of my other female guineas. And how soon would you suggest putting them in with the 6 adults? I have an empty dog cage that I can put them in so that they can adjust. I am just very worried that Pie and Ditsy (the new ones) will run away and not be accepted into my flock. PLEASE HELP!
I will send pictures of everyone's setup tomorrow if I can. There is plastic up everywhere to keep them warm.

When adding guineas to an adult flock, I have a cage built that I place in the coop. Once the attacks at the wire stops, I start letting them out, one at a time.

When bringing in adult guineas, it is recommended to keep them penned for 6 weeks so that they can understand that this place is now home.

When adding guineas to an adult flock, I have a cage built that I place in the coop. Once the attacks at the wire stops, I start letting them out, one at a time.

When bringing in adult guineas, it is recommended to keep them penned for 6 weeks so that they can understand that this place is now home.
Thank you! This is very helpful! I promised my friends that I would take good care of Pie and Ditsy, and I don't want them to get hurt or die... Also, Ditsy fell on his head a few months ago (he was born in May 2022) and his horn cracked. He is missing the top of his horn ( picture tomorrow) And he tries to attack everyone. His wings are in that aggresive position, like lifted an inch above his back, and his beak is open angrily.... He charges at the baby's all around him 🤣 is this normal or is this because of his... TeenKeet-hood trauma?

Back
Top Bottom