I got a Rooster in my coop, apparently!

kitkatinacoop

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
Imperial, CA
When I first got my chicks, I wanted only girls. However it turns out that one of the pullets that I got was a boy! He has crowed for a bit, however I was not fully aware that he was a boy as my husband has a game that the save noise is a rooster crowing, and then we have neighbors with them as well!

Fluffers, who is SUPER adorable and a scaredy cat. But I was wondering if him being in there will effect my eggs??? I know that he can fertilize them and stuff, however I was wondering how fast do I need to grab the eggs before they are fully fertilized? Or how that all works. I know that I can put them into the fridge and they will be okay? I think? I just need some help.

fluffers.PNG

I am really attached to him, and I have no idea how to deal with a male bird. He is a super scardrycat and I would be upset to get rid of him. So I will not be getting rid of him, he is actually my favorite. I am just concerned about the eggs that I originally got the birds for!

Hey, if you do not know----Just ask. The rooster will breed with the hen, even if you took him away her eggs can remain fertile for 2 or 3 weeks. Keeping them on the table will not cause a problem as long as they do not stay there for weeks and rot. It takes Incubation to get the fertile eggs starting a embryo that would hatch into a chick. So do not worry. As long as you collect eggs fresh every day---you will not get any surprises. Now if I find a egg---in the bush, or some where that I have No Idea how old it it----I just toss it to the hogs, in the woods(away from the chickens), etc. I am not going to keep a egg unless I know it is fresh layed.

Hey, if you do not know----Just ask. The rooster will breed with the hen, even if you took him away her eggs can remain fertile for 2 or 3 weeks. Keeping them on the table will not cause a problem as long as they do not stay there for weeks and rot. It takes Incubation to get the fertile eggs starting a embryo that would hatch into a chick. So do not worry. As long as you collect eggs fresh every day---you will not get any surprises. Now if I find a egg---in the bush, or some where that I have No Idea how old it it----I just toss it to the hogs, in the woods(away from the chickens), etc. I am not going to keep a egg unless I know it is fresh layed.

Back
Top Bottom