i got a turkey............

Sillystunt

Master of the Silly
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Winter Haven, FL
Ok, i have all kinds of poultry and know the in's and out's.

I have been feeding my young 4 month old turkey game feed with the higher protien. It was raised in my cage and it is still in it cause it got fowl pox and it's eye swelled shut. I have beed treating it by cleaning out it's eye of the infection(white stuff).

I really hate it being in the cage!!! Can i put it in with my chickens? i just am not sure if they can be together. i also have a goat pen which i believe it would love(lots of bugs)It is alot bigger than the chicken pen.

I am not sure which is the best place for it. I also have NO clue what kind it is. She said, "bronze or mixed brinze" I saw her turkeys and they were beautiful. i would really love a male but he would require some space!!!

Any suggestions? Please don't bash me cause i am trying my best to give it a good life here on my property!
hide.gif

I have my pet turkey in with my chickens. Of course, there were tensions at first, and she took a lot of bullying, but once she'd had enough, she let 'em know it
wink.png

I've heard that you're not supposed to put them together because the turkeys can get blackhead, but I personally have not had a problem with that and Bird (the turkey) has been with the chickens for a year and a half. The only thing that I've had to do for her that was special was to add a "made to fit" roost for her (she is a BBW) so that she could roost with the chickens.

Edited to add that if you put it with the goats, you need to make sure that the goats don't eat the feed or the turkey doesn't eat the goat food.....
idunno.gif
It's one way or the other........

Last edited:
Congrats on getting a turkey. I hope it's eye gets better. Some say a turkey and chickens can be raised together others say not to raise them together. I get to pick up my tom Turkey on friday he is 4 months old and he is a Narrgansette can't wait to see him. Good luck with your turkey.

Thanks!
She had them as well and said that's what it could be mixed with . She wasn't sure if pure or mixed cause they were running free on her property. I should take a picture cause i have no clue the sex of it either
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom