I got Chicken Problems! Help. Broody Hen & Not Laying

Sanfi_Flock

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Hollister, CA
Hi everyone!

So I have a flock of (6) hens.. (2) Tetra Tints (Chicka hei hei & Chicka white) , (1) Red Sex Link (Penny) , (1) Barred Rock (Chick Hicks), (1) Silkie (Edgar) & (1) Bantam Quail D'Anvers (McQueen). I have two separete issue:

One of my Tetras (Chicka white) and Edgar have gone broody. I have separated them and kept them out of the coop and run but they just dont break. Now the Chicka White is sitting on the Edgar like she is her baby. How do I end this? It has been over a week.

Then, Mcqueen has stopped laying eggs. She was giving us (1) egg every other day or so but has not laid in a week. She is acting normal but just hasn't laid.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Broody hen needs to be put in a wire crate with food, water and a small piece of stable wood to roost off the floor with. Set the cage on blocks so there is airflow under her. I let them out at roost time each night. If they dart back to the nest, I put them back in jail until the next night.
When she jumps on the roost to sleep she's broken. Takes 2-3 days typically.

As for not laying there are multitudes of reasons. Short days, molting, stress, etc.

How old are these birds, in months?
....and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1638392086679.png

How old are these birds, in months?
....and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2915488
Hi. We are in Hollister, CA (Bay Area/Central Coast. I updated my profile.

They are 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom