I got dooped, but by whom???? Give me your best guess..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pharm Girl, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I have three new pullets this year which were supposed to lay blue, green, and white eggs respectively. Today I found a tiny green AND a tiny brown egg in the nest. Brown egg????? I wasn't supposed to have a BROWN egg..! Pics are a few weeks old, but..

It's a good old fashioned who-done-it.
    The suspects.....

Suspect #1: All white Nellie is half white leghorn, half lavender ameracauna. Mother is the ameracauna I believe. She has slate legs.
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2: Olive is a feed store EE with green legs and pretty white/buff feathers and has been the first to squat. I'm sure one of the two came from her.
    [​IMG]

Suspect #3: was supposed to be a 'speckled sussex', said the feed store. Dooped again. Looks like a brown leghorn to me. Maybe she's an unspeckled sussex which would account for the brown egg, but if she's a leghorn, she should lay white.
    [​IMG]

Please give me your best guess as to who-done-it!
    *Sorry about the old pictures, they were about 16 weeks when these were taken*

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Your last girl is most likely the source of the brown egg. She looks like a RIR-X. The photos aren't recent, right? If they are, I'd say none of these girls laid any of your eggs and you have a few mystery chickens sneaking and laying in your coop! [​IMG]

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I think your brown pullet is laying brown eggs. She is not a speckled sussex with those yellow legs (should be white) and tiny comb (is it a pea comb?) She could be some kind of buckeye cross, but maybe you should ask where you got her from?

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'd say the 3rd one. She looks like a Partridge Rock to me, which lay brown eggs.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Your last pullet.............I almost think she is a welsummer - they lay a brown egg - and many hatchery bird Wellies I have seen look similar to your girl.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That's a possibility, also.

7. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    OK, maybe a more current picture is in order.....Here she is today. She's gorgeous whatever she is. The feed store has no idea why she's not a SS, but clearly, she's not! The egg was a very light brown, like the kind my BO lay. Also funny is the fact that she's the only one left NOT doing the sQuAt...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:That's a possibility, also.

[​IMG] I was thinking the same about your reply.

But after looking at the newer pics........I am going to stick with welsummer. Here is a link to feathersite with the Welsummers: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wels/BRKWelsummers.html

and here is the Rocks: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rocks/BRKRocks.html You might have to scroll down or up, but for a hatchery bird, I think she looks most like a Welsummer. But I sure am no expert (do not even have wellies in my flock, and my lone rock is a hatchery barred)

9. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i think the it is the one in the last pic

10. johnschiks

johnschiks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Hurley, MS
    i dont know, but she's purdy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by