I got good/ok news!!! (jumping in the inside)

Dec 6, 2018
Clive, Iowa
My dad bought 52 Cornish X chicks and one of them, when we were buying them, had a leg problem and we were told by employes that she wouldn't make it and would throw her in no charge, and my dad said yes, because he knew if we took all but her they'd most likely dispose of her because of her injury. And after bringing her home and separating her to get better my mom convinced my dad to keep her because it's "not fair to save her from dying only to be killed later on" so she will now get a get out of culling day pass and live with our other layer hens.

So a few questions I have-
I know she is gonna get huge and slow, so how can I give her a long healthy fulfilling life without succumbing to her weight?
Can/Will she lay eggs?
What accommodations coop wise would I have to make?

I'm going to be honest, she's never going to have a great quality of life, no matter how much or well you care for her. This is a breed which is known for leg problems as they age (slowly collapsing under their own weight) and she's already ahead of the game.

There are plenty of people on here that have kept CX alive to a little over a year with extremely limited diets and excercise. I urge you to really consider how kind it is to the animal to save her only for her to suffer a painful life.

They are bred to die at around 8 weeks of age for their meet, she will probably suffer if she is alive longer then she is supposed to because of how big she will get and ready for butchering.
If you want chickens that will live longer and lay eggs I would considef not getting a meat breed next time ❤️

Like the others said, cornish hens are unfortunately breed to be so massive that their legs eventually break from their own body weight; it's very cruel. They can lay eggs, if they live to 18 weeks, but their eggs are usually small and less plentiful than those of another breed. Although I hate the idea of killing, for meat or otherwise, I would recomend euthanasia via vet, but there are a few good ways of giving her a decent life:
1: if your willing to spend time and energy, you can make her specialized slings and walkers and pamper her indoors.
2: you can give her to a reliable sanctuary, such as the many farm sanctuaries in the u.s.
3: you can seek veterinary medications for her weight, but it may be costly.
4: if your not willing to do any of these, you could offer her up for adoption. I'm sure that many people would love to give her a home. I would, but I already have the limited number of chickens in my area.
May the best of luck be with you and your chick!

Back
Top Bottom