I got my chickies yesterday

chickmama320

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Back Swamp NC
So I finally found someone selling some babies. They are about 11days old and all supposed to be girls.. I am soooo excited. I was very happy to wake up this morning and still have all four of them.

24194_photo_70.jpg

These are my Rhoade Island Reds. The one that is perched higher up we have named Sam. He/she (hopefully it really is a she) is very outgoing.

24194_photo_77.jpg

Here are my Barred Rocks.

Does anyone know of anyway to safely mark them. I was thinking about putting some nail polish on one toe of one of each of them. Right now we know that Sam is Sam b/c she had some poop on her back and you can still tell where I pulled to fuzz off to get the poop off.

I saw somewhere someone selling colored bands. and I thought about using like little tiny ponytail holders for their feet. I would have to be careful, and take them off before they got to tight as they grew, but I have a bunch of the same chicks from different breeders and want to keep them ID'd for future breeding programs.

Let me see if I can find the site that had the specific bands

Very cute! You can put leg bands on them , I've seen posts on here where people have used colored zip ties for this or I know my feed store sells them singly too. I've never used one so I don't know anything about putting them on but I know I've seen posts on it here.

Good luck with your cuties!

nancy

Oh cool... I had seen the leg bands, but didn't think that I could get them individually. I am hoping that eventually I will be able to tell them apart.

Congratulations! your babies are beautiful. Out of my last 21 chicks, susposedly all pullets, one turned out to be a Roo. They came from Ideal.

Very cute! We've put zip ties on chicks before. You can get a multi-colored pack of the really small ones very cheap. We just made sure they bands were very loose, and we checked them often, since the little ones grow so fast.

Back
Top Bottom