I got my eggs!

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
My mail carrier very graciously delivered my eggs first thing on his route this morning. Hinkjc sent me 24 buff orp eggs and they were packed really well, none broken! I will use this thread to chart the progress of the hatch. I am using this as a project not only for myself (first hatch), but also for my kids and quite a few other homeschool kids. They will be coming over tomorrow and helping to candle the eggs, mark them, and put them in the incubator. I really hope we have a decent hatch! I have had my incubator running for a couple days now and it seems to hold pretty steady as far as temp and humidity as long as I don't mess with it too much. It took a little finagaling to get the humidity at what I wanted, but I think it's going well at this point. Here's hoping!

ETA: I have two thermometers in there, one that is digital that has the hygrometer, and another regular one. When the digital reads 102, the regular one reads 104. Which one should I believe?

Last edited:
Store them pointy end down until you get them in the bator. And if you have an auto turner, pointy end down in it too.

Good luck with your hatch! My kids are so excited they can hardly stand it.

Hope you have a great hatch! Buffs are my all time favorite chickens. I just love everything about them. They're sweet and wonderful and lay beautiful eggs.

I have a Lg bator and on my last hatch i had 22 out of 36 eggs hatch and my digital read 99 and my other regular themo. had102 at the top of the eggs the digital was at egg level.

I candled tonight just to check, and found that one egg has a couple cracks I didn't notice before. I am still going to put it in the bator though. Who knows, maybe it will still hatch!

Hey Potterwatch,

I'm right here with you. We are doing some eggs of our own for a friend to raise and keep. I'm also using the hatching (our first) as a combination science project/4H record keeping project for my daughter. We homeschool as well.

We set our eggs at 12:45pm on the 4th. 10 Silver Phoenix, and 1 White Cochin. They are in a Hova-Bator 2632 with an autoturner. All numbered and marked for side so that we can record on a spread sheet the following:

Time/date we checked the temp/humidity and what side was up on the turner (X or O). Also a second spreadsheet so that we can record the candling result on day 7 and 18. We hope to take pictures then also as they will help her earn points on her record book.

We do "life learning" style of homeschooling most of the time, with the exception of the can't be avoided Math and english. This is a great opportunity to teach record keeping and the beauty of life cycles.

Laney

Back
Top Bottom