I got my goats today, but.......

Good For You!! We paid $150. for 2 Alpine does. If she is persistant just give your local Sherriff a phone call and explain the deal to him and let her know about the phone call. That should quiet her down. If your State is a joint property State then any deal her husband made is binding.

Quote from Shirley Temple's The Little Princess: "....I know my rights, I know the law, what I say I saw, I saw!"

I bet her husband slept in the dog house last night!

congrats on your new goats!
big_smile.png

(hey mods, looks like we need a goat smilie!)

Quote:
Being I'm from Canada, we don't have sherriffs here, but the message is the same. If I hear back from her, I will keep that in mind. Like I said, I struggled with this. The deal breaker, so to speak, was if imy hubby sold an animal, i wouldn't dare ask for it back. That, and i didn't haggle on the price. I asked how much for the two. He proposed the price, and he pointed only one out that wasn't for sale, which was a momma in milk.

A goat smilie would be cool!

I didn'e even look to see where you were from. Sorry! My Sister-in-law lives in Brandon & my Husband is from Edmonton, Alberta. He used to play for the Eskimoes! Most of his family is in Western Canada and I'm the only American!

Hope you enjoy your goats! We love our! They are great pets and come to us faster than the dogs when we call. Plus the eat all the vegitable/fruit scraps. They do make a mess of the patio though.

Hi, From another goat breeder's standpoint I would say the fault lies with the seller and that a deal is indeed a deal. I would say sorry but you paid what he asked. If I were in this breeder's shoes I'd be mad at my husband BUT would stand behind his deal and never make the seller pay for his mistake. I do think though he was a little out of line pushing you to take a runty animal, though 2 goats are much happier together. A single goat would be very lonely and likely not to thrive. Hope this helps...
Michelle

Quote:
Thanks, and I agree. I wasn't totally opposed to getting two, I was thinking of maybe getting a boer for meat, but when he offered, and at that price, I said ok. And as far as the runt is concerned, she is a little spitfire. I did feel bad for her since she wa s visibly being picked on while I was there. Although I separate my attachment for 'farm animals', I still am a bit of a softy. Hopefully she will be able to breed, and be a good mother.

If I had have only gotten the one, I know of several people who successfully have their goats in with horses, and this is what I would have done. We only have three acres, and they will have to share it with two horses.

My husband went on a fishing trip and took the cameral, but when he comes back, I will post pics.

I don't know, sounds like the husband sold it by mistake. Maybe she'd already promised it to someone else. Or one of her kids was attached to it. Who knows? You weren't going there for the runt so you were paying the gas anyway. If she wants her goat back and is willing to reimburse you and come get it, I'd give it back. You never know, you may need to do business with them again someday.

Actually, if the mom is in milk, she is worth more than the baby. I think she made you a good offer of the mom, plus her coming to you to switch the two.
It sounds like the hubby wasn't listening when she left instructions for him. Something mine does pretty often. :|
It's up to you, but you did ask for an opinion, and I would feel bad and give her the baby back. If the runt was being picked on it probably wasn't getting it's fair share of the food.
I do think she made you a fair offer and isn't trying to scam you. I can picture myself in her shoes.

Quote:
She wanted the one I wanted-back. Hubby threw in the runt. She said the one I wanted was her pet. She had 15 goats, and THAT one was her pet. Yes, the hubby screwed up, but is that my problem?

I called our OPP, as was suggested, (or sherriff was suggested). the law backs me on this one. the constable said if she wanted to pursue it, she would have to take it to civil court, but he siad I'd win.

Back
Top Bottom