I got my VERY FIRST SILKIES!!

And some itty bitty buff lace polish chicks... Also my first.. I was pretty darn sure I was done with the brooder thing... but how could I possibly say no? I'm still trying to explain to the hubby how chicken math works, and how I actually have less chickens since I traded my extra fluffy standard cochins for them, but he seems a bit dense on the subject considering what a brilliant, capable man he is...

The silkies are 8 weeks old as of this past sunday, and the polish babies are around a week. I have no clue on gender, I've got a high hope for pullets (as everyone does :rolleyes: I can get away with keeping one ... maaaaaybe two roos, but I have a lovely friend who will happily swap extras so I'm not terribly worried) I studied every byc post on sexing silkies and begged for pointers before I chose and the polish were a breed I had been hunting for but a spontaneous find, so I'll be praying to every chicken power that be until I know for sure!

:love I'm so in love...
View attachment 2234543
View attachment 2234535
View attachment 2234542View attachment 2234491View attachment 2234454View attachment 2234458

I'm pleased to report, after watching the silkies on the lawn for a bit, my fantastic choice of life mates has begun to catch on to the basics of chicken math! :celebrate
I think you did good pickings on your silkies. I know there's no guarantees, but i would have picked them as hopeful girls too!

And some itty bitty buff lace polish chicks... Also my first.. I was pretty darn sure I was done with the brooder thing... but how could I possibly say no? I'm still trying to explain to the hubby how chicken math works, and how I actually have less chickens since I traded my extra fluffy standard cochins for them, but he seems a bit dense on the subject considering what a brilliant, capable man he is...

The silkies are 8 weeks old as of this past sunday, and the polish babies are around a week. I have no clue on gender, I've got a high hope for pullets (as everyone does :rolleyes: I can get away with keeping one ... maaaaaybe two roos, but I have a lovely friend who will happily swap extras so I'm not terribly worried) I studied every byc post on sexing silkies and begged for pointers before I chose and the polish were a breed I had been hunting for but a spontaneous find, so I'll be praying to every chicken power that be until I know for sure!

:love I'm so in love...
View attachment 2234543
View attachment 2234535
View attachment 2234542View attachment 2234491View attachment 2234454View attachment 2234458

I'm pleased to report, after watching the silkies on the lawn for a bit, my fantastic choice of life mates has begun to catch on to the basics of chicken math! :celebrate
THEY'RE SO PRECIOUS!

Ugh.... down to one polish :hit And I'm pretty sure it was the girl who I found dead this morning... I'm so disappointed, I've had some issues with the suspected male with pasty butt and a little weakness in general, but the little girl was doing great! And then this morning she was no more.... I hate having just the one little chick now, hes been crying non stop... I hope that helps my case when I petition my man to redo his chicken math to remedy the situation!

Ugh.... down to one polish :hit And I'm pretty sure it was the girl who I found dead this morning... I'm so disappointed, I've had some issues with the suspected male with pasty butt and a little weakness in general, but the little girl was doing great! And then this morning she was no more.... I hate having just the one little chick now, hes been crying non stop... I hope that helps my case when I petition my man to redo his chicken math to remedy the situation!
Yes, tell him he has to have a friend to learn to be a chicken, which is true.. so sorry you lost your little one. I had one who managed to pull through, but pretty much every poop was a pasty butt poop, had to clean it every hour it seemed. They are so delicate, you never know what will work! Hang in there ❤

Actually silkies are self cleaning like an oven. They can be wet & muddy but, by the time they dry off- they look fresh and clean.

Bwhahaha That's the most awesome sales pitch for silkies I've heard yet!!! :lau If I didn't already own two I'd rush out to grab a few... but I'll be damned if it isn't mostly true... except for that blasted evergreen sap! Worse than bubblegum in curly hair on a hot summer day! I still want a white or splash silkie baby....

Yes, tell him he has to have a friend to learn to be a chicken, which is true.. so sorry you lost your little one. I had one who managed to pull through, but pretty much every poop was a pasty butt poop, had to clean it every hour it seemed. They are so delicate, you never know what will work! Hang in there ❤
I'm sooooooooooooooo sorry.:hugs Must be very hard to go through all this. Your chick needs a friend. No chicken wants to be alone. They need each other.

So my daughter brought me home two itty bitty polish chicks to keep the lone buff laced baby company, a white crested black and a white crested blue (in theory, blue and black are so hard to tell apart at this age) with beautifully rounded top hat poofs and a love of snuggling! Nothing like chick snuggles to ease a heavy heart! :love

New babies!
20200723_225817.jpg

20200723_225731.jpg
20200723_225558.jpg

Camera doesn't want to focus, and they're not too impressed with me turning off their warmth but they sure are adorable and sweet! My chicks have always been at least startled by an incoming hand but not these babies, these ones run towards my fingers.

The poor buff laced baby tried to hang out with them during their brief outdoor playtime but got pecked for her intrusive introduction, the silkies seem to have literally taken her under wing though, so that's something! If I wasn't such a nervous Nelly I'd let them share brooder space without the dividing mesh walls, but I worry... tomorrow maybe

Attachments

• 20200723_220552.jpg
    20200723_220552.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom