I got to thinking.Can i keep turkey chicks with chicks.

rooster brandon.

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Kodak, by knoxville
Can i keep turkey chicks with chicks and them be ok both of them.I just want to see turkey chicks grow and what about black head? Will the turkey chicks be affected by the chickens chicks poo?Can i keep turkeys away from chickens in a different cage ? Oh and ho easy is it for turkeys to get blackhead?

You can succesfully keep turkeys and chickens together they can share a coop or free-range together or be completely comtained away from each other, blackhead disease is a possibility but with good sanitation, clean dry bedding, and plenty of room they can do well together. Keep in mind though that disease isn't always the killer when turkeys and chickens are kept together. A turkey can easily kill a chicken with a well placed peck to the head if for some reason it doesn't like the chickens. Not saying you should or shouldn't keep them together, that decision is for you. I personally have two turkeys this year that will be kept on the opposite side of our lot from our chicken coops, however we do have a handlful of chickens that free-range so there is still the potential for some contact. Bt our turkeys are being penned sperately mainly because we also raise pigs, goats and a mini horse, so there are alot of different "bugs" they would be exposed to if they had access to the whole farm. It's just up to you to decide what risks you are and aren't willing to take. More often the turkey is the one to die of blackhead while the chicken becaomes a carrier. Good luck!

p.s.- my understanding is that turkeys essentially have little to no immune system until 12 weeks, so wether decide to put them out with your chickens or not try to keep them off of the grass (inside or on wire above ground) until then to give them the best chance. Also, I don't use medicated feed normally but if I was going to have them with the chickens I probably would just to give them a better chance at not developing something. You may have some good luck in the turkey forum form someone who has actually kept them together- sorry I can't help you more from experience!

Back
Top Bottom