I guess I'll call him "Stumpy"...

Hi! He's still doing well and inside. IF you promise not to make fun of him, I'll share a pic later.

smile.png

Lisa

That really is hilarious!
lau.gif
Sad, but hilarious!
gig.gif

Ilene?!
lau.gif
lau.gif
omg hilarious Even better than Stumpy.

You know Jersey Girl, I really am sitting in front of the computer with a cup of coffee right now. It's 1:30 and the coffee should be done, but it's decaf,, so I guess it's ok!

I just read this post, and it sort of scared me because a few weeks back my older DD went out to the coop to feed the birds, and she had new bag of feed. She tore off the string and flap at the top, and I don't know what possessed her, but instead of putting them in her pocket, she tossed them on the ground, and went on to feed the birds. After feeding the birds, she took the food back inside, but didn't pick up the string or the flap. Fast forward to nighttime, and the birds are all heading into the coop on their own, except my Mallard pair, Jessie and Marion. In fact, Marion was partially under the coop, and Jesse was sitting in front of her. Odd, but my DD leaned down and was surprised when Jesse didn't run away from her like he usually does. Instead, he sat there and let her scoop him up. Well, as she started to stand, Marion came out from under the coop, and it was then that my daughter saw that the string she had left on the ground had become tied around not just Jesse's leg, but around Marion's too! So my daughter scooped up Marion too and raced into the house with them. I got the string off Jesse's leg first, with no damage to him, but Marion's leg, I had to pull out the nail clippers to get it off. They must have struggled a lot once they got caught up in the string because poor Marion's scales on her leg were cut into, and it looked raw. No swelling though. I got it off, cleaned it with iodine, and my daughter insisted that I put a band aid on it. I was wondering as I put that band aid on how long she would wear it because I wasn't sure when I'd be able to catch her again to get it off! But they got to sleep in the bathtub that night, and take a swim in the tub the next morning (they really love that!) before going back outside with the chickens and Swedish ducks. Marion had that stupid band aid on for a long time before we could get it off her, but her leg healed fine, and the scales grew back. My DD learned her lesson though, and hasn't left anything that could cause harm to the birds laying around the chicken yard again. Those silly ducks will turn anything into a toy! I'm not surprised about the hair though. We shed as much as any other animal. I'm glad your chick is doing ok though. I'm glad Marion didn't lose her leg from the string incident. I don't know what I would have done if she did! Probably pass out from the shock of it! Post some pics of your little miracle bird, I want to see what the little survivor looks like!

Yes! Pictures are a MUST!!!
big_smile.png

On a sad note regarding things that can become entangled on our birds: I had a lovely BO hen, just shy of a year old, who hung herself on a feed back string. It was such a freak accident, one which haunts me to this very day, nearly five years later.

My DH had put a 50# sack of layer crumble up on the top shelf in the coop. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't have been a problem, as I would usually cut off any loose strings so that the girls couldn't grab hold of them and open a bag up from the bottom. They are very clever girls you know!
wink.png

Long story short, a few days later, when I went out in the morning to feed and water the girls, here was Mildred, up on the top shelf and just sitting there, panting heavily. That was strange all in itself. It wasn't hot out, [it being mid winter] and Mildred would usually jump down from any roost and make a bee line for the pop door as soon as it was opened in the morning. But this particular morning, she just sat there.

I walked over thinking maybe she was egg bound or something. That's when I saw it. The string had become wrapped around her TONGUE!!!
th.gif
I quickly backed away from Mildred in the hope that she wouldn't freak out and try to escape. I keep a nice sharp pair of scissors by the big door of the coop. I turned to grab them, and as I did, Mildred did exactly as I feared she would. She tried to jump down from the top shelf, while still tied to the feed bag.

If only the string had been longer. If only I had thought to cut the darn thing off earlier. Or even tucked it under the bag where none of the girls could have gotten hold of it....
hit.gif
: But I didn't. And Mildred jumped and hung herself.

I won't go into the gruesome details. Suffice it to say, we've never stored a single bag of feed up there since, and never will again. Poor little Mildred. She died far too young, all on account of my carelessness.
hit.gif
I'm very mindful of things that can get wrapped anywhere around a chicken's body. But to be honest, hair is not one of those things I had ever thought about. DD is the only one with long hair in this family, and since she doesn't have much interaction with the chickens, I think maybe they're safe from a threat from that quarter......or so I HOPE!

Back
Top Bottom