I guess it's my turn for "The neighbors dog got out"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sommrluv, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    This morning shortly before 8, our dogs started raising the predator alarm, and I look out the window to see a very large Siberian Husky running around my driveway and jumping at my fences.

We ran outside and shoo'd the dog away, and found that my Giant Cochin Roo (still a juvenile), Phil, was missing. Sometime's Phil and his ladies (Phillipa and Phyllis) liked to squeeze through the gate and go through my flower beds. My other chickens are scattered all over, on top of fences, etc.

While I'm trying to figure out where the dog went/whom his owner might be, a neighbor walking their dog shouts to me..."Did you see the size of that dog!? He had a cat in it's mouth!" He apparently was aggressive with this neighbor as well.

Of course immediately I knew that was my Phil. We did track down the owner, and she was apologetic and said she'd replace the chicken. I understand mistakes happen, so I'm not angry, I'm just curious if there's a good way to temper the possible reaction that will come once she realizes the cost. I can't find mature Cochins locally, and Phil was so tame I'd prefer to hatch him out myself. We have two other Roo's and I don't want to bring another adult in to start a territory war, either.

Shortly after my husband talked to her, she came to our door. She had found Phil in her front yard and from what my husband described, seemed like she was saying "Ok, I found him, isn't this great?". Phil has a dislocated leg, broken wing, and several extremely deep gashes on his back and I know we'll have to put him down shortly. She seemed to think we should take him to a vet, but didn't neccessarily offer to pay either. And with the leg, as much as I like Phil, he's here for breeding and I need him to be productive, and I can't see him ever being able to breed successfully with only one leg.

Aside from how nice he was, He and his ladies are about six months old and JUST started laying. I have lots of local orders for fertile eggs.

What is fair to ask for reimbursement? Obviously, I can't order just one egg, and I wouldn't want to try to hatch just one egg or brood just one egg, and that wouldn't guarantee me a roo of his color regardless. So...is it the cost of eggs, plus the cost of feed to get him to maturity? Do I charge for lost income on sold eggs?

2. fernwoodj9

fernwoodj9 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    pulaski ny
    sorry for your loss .This is a big problem dogs cause lots of damage when they "get out" .as for reembursement I would contact a breeder and find out what it will cost shipping included and request atleast that mutch and explain that you are being nice and could be asking for production losses aswell hopefuly they learn a lesson and keep thair dog " IN"

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Sorry you lost a good bird. My tolerance for people and their dogs is pretty much way down past zero. I can't help you with how much reimbursement to ask for but I would be considering put up some hot wire around your pens. That dog needs a good shock on the nose to make him realize your place is a terrible place to be! Once shocked they don't usually come back for more.

Husky's are notorious for getting out and running the neighborhood or country side, especially when owned by people who just think they are pretty and don't take the time to educate themselves about their dogs natural tendencies. They love to run and hunt. He will most likely be out again and your place will be first on his list.

Even with hot wire up, if he does show up again it's time for a much more serious discussion with his owner. I'm not sure she's taking this as seriously as she should be.

4. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you for the kind words.

It's not a regular thing, so I want to be reasonable. I did take some detailed pictures just in case they were needed, and I think tomorrow afternoon I'll either leave a note or stop by and explain what I'm expecting. If eggs are going to cost me $40 to $60 and I'll need to incubate and feed, do you think asking for something in the $100-$125 range is not fair?

My other two cochins are spooked, and now Phyllis looks like she has a limp. I'm pretty frustrated about the setback, as well. Such is life with livestock!

5. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    Sorry for your baby getting hurt, I know what that's like. I think the figure you have listed here is very reasonable. I'd notify the local authorities & report what happened, that way it's on record & she'll be notified as well that her dog is to be controlled at ALL times. Find out what your legal rights are as far as destroying the dog if it comes on your property AGAIN.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I just ran through this with a local neighbor. I contacted animal control and found out that they would site the dog owner on a first offense. The owners would have to either pay the fine or relinquish the dog to animal control. I don't remember how much the fine was for the first offense, but it was pretty hefty.

You might want to call animal control and find out how much violations of the lease law cost.... When I confronted the neighbor, I told them how much the animal was worth and how much it would cost if I got animal control involved. My costs were cheaper....

How much to charge for the animal? I AGREE with the previous poster. Call the breeder you got the stock from and ask how much they would charge for a cockerel of the same age. There is a good possibility they have an extra cockerel hanging around LOL... We breeders always have a couple of extra cockerel that we are growing out and trying to decide if we like them better than the older guys...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by