I guess you can call me a little macabre...(various projects)

bantamamba

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
I know this is not everyone's cup o tea so....:< My apologies if it creeps anyone out.

But I do like to make my own Hallowe'en props. I corpsed my first skull yesterday. "Corpsing" here is referring to the process of making a fake skull or skelly look like...well, look more "fresh".

Here I used an old skull I got from like, Savemart, and some tubes of expired costume latex my friend gave me. The flesh is from pulling kleenex and cotton over the contours of the skull, brushed over with latex. The white is the freshly-applied stuff...I ran out of latex and I still need to paint it, so it's not quite finished. But now he seems to be very happy drying on our mantle next to the kachina. I am lucky to have a tolerant mother.
wink.png
I have some better pics on photobucket, but that site is being a pain right now.

DCFN0001-8-1.jpg

DCFN0002-7-1.jpg

All dry this morning:
4399292394_c96e06f85b_m.jpg

Last Hallowe'en I constructed a life-size creature primarily out of chicken wire and ducktape...no pics unless I can figure out how to email myself them from the phone, but I was only able to skin her head and hands. We put a red LED in her one eye socket so it was pretty gnarly. Her partially complete body has been recycled, alas, but I managed to save her head...I want to colour it with some wood stain, perhaps add some teeth and mount it on my wall. ^__^ The jaws can be opened.
Mary's head was built with a wire frame, layered with some ducktape for stability, and then coated in torn paper towls brushed with latex carpet adhesive which has dried into a nice, pliable and dry skin-like finish. No smell or anything. I did this outside and she was 100% dry within an hour. She is kind of sagging here and looks more like a camel than anything, so I tihnk I need to add some more internal wire supports.

4398524409_f02e90414c_o.jpg

So yeah...this is what I tend to do when I manage to get free time on my hands. I would like to update this thread with Skully and Mary's progress.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you are referring to the last pic...yeah, that is "Mary".
smile.png
Originally was supposed to be a zombie horse, turned into something else. What exactly, not sure yet. Still working on her back story. I'll get better photos when I return from campus later this evening.
smile.png

Also great to meet another Halloween lover!

And I'm sorry it frightened you chickenlittle!!

Quote:
If you are referring to the last pic...yeah, that is "Mary".
smile.png
Originally was supposed to be a zombie horse, turned into something else. What exactly, not sure yet. Still working on her back story. I'll get better photos when I return from campus later this evening.
smile.png

Also great to meet another Halloween lover!

And I'm sorry it frightened you chickenlittle!!

A nightmare? The original was an undead horse.

... In this town we call home, everybody bows to the pumpkin throne....

OMG this is amazing! My cup of tea, for sure. My house is weird and creepy all year round. I have "pickled" prop body parts in jars on shelves and such, hahaha. I'm going to start a new project soon; cryptozoological faux taxidermy. I can't wait. Keep posting your projects, please!

Last edited:
We are big time Halloween enthusiasts around here- every year we do a yard and porch haunt with as many home made props as we can turn out and each year we add a bit more to it
so I knew exactly what you meant when you said you 'corpsed it'!! Your skulls look awesome! I'll be anxious to see more pics when photobucket is being more cooperative! Yay for haunters!!!
thumbsup.gif

And bigtime yays for haunters who are perfecting their craft even in March!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

That is awesome. Maybe that other one could be the chupacabra lol. I want to make some skulls/partial skulls that are set in cement blocks for a 'tribal wall' for my tiki bar!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom