I had a new addition in my coop tonight!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have 14 birds, my roo and his 13 hens but tonight they invited a friend for a sleepover.
Last night when I went to lock them up there was a sparrow in the coop. I tried for awhile to get it out, but couldn't - it flew up in the rafters; so it spent the night.
I gave up on that aspect of bio-security a long time ago, because the sparrows and finches hang around my chickens all the time; cleaning up anything the chickens leave behind. It's been this way all winter. For awhile the addition of a pop door and having the big door closed all day kept the sparrows out, but soon they got brave enough to hop right through the pop door.
So tonight I go to lock the chickens up and as they were hopping thru the door into the coop a little sparrow comes out from under the coop and gets in line. He/she hopped right into the coop with the chickens.
Sure hope he doesn't eat me out of house and home.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Awwww! How cute! Its pretending to be a chicken... " Okay..gotta act like a chicken.... gotta act like a chicken..gotta act like a chicken... ooh! theres the lady that lives in the house that brings out food for the chickens.... man, chickens have it made! Okay.... getting in line..maybe she wont know that i'm not a chicken... gotta act like a chicken..gotta act like a chicken.... Yes! I'm in... "
tongue.png

Last edited:
So, Not only are they lining up by color, but by size too?

Are you sure you weren't in your closet?
roll.png

Imp

Redhen-
yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:
I have lots of sparrows. But I did invest in a 'Yankee Flipper Bird feeder". Because the squirrels were eating me out of house and home. Now the wild birds go to the feeder and I don't get many in my coop anymore. And it's fun to watch the tree rats spin on the feeder!

Quote:
Lilith took a look one look at the roosts tonight and decided to sleep in a nestbox instead. The other chickens are ticked because they aren't allowed to sleep in nestboxes, only Lilith is. Yes, I have a favorite.
tongue.gif

As for my closet....my mom would roll in her grave is she could see my closets right now. Or come back to haunt me.
hide.gif

What a funny picture that must have been as they marched in the door. I can see you counting.......chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, very little chic...WHAT?

Redhen probably has it figured out. What a deal the sparrow thinks the chickens get. If he spreads the word your coop may be needing more roosts soon!

Back
Top Bottom