I had a new addition in my coop tonight!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
13 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have 14 birds, my roo and his 13 hens but tonight they invited a friend for a sleepover.
Last night when I went to lock them up there was a sparrow in the coop. I tried for awhile to get it out, but couldn't - it flew up in the rafters; so it spent the night.
I gave up on that aspect of bio-security a long time ago, because the sparrows and finches hang around my chickens all the time; cleaning up anything the chickens leave behind. It's been this way all winter. For awhile the addition of a pop door and having the big door closed all day kept the sparrows out, but soon they got brave enough to hop right through the pop door.
So tonight I go to lock the chickens up and as they were hopping thru the door into the coop a little sparrow comes out from under the coop and gets in line. He/she hopped right into the coop with the chickens.
Sure hope he doesn't eat me out of house and home.
hmm.png

Last edited:

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Awwww! How cute! Its pretending to be a chicken... " Okay..gotta act like a chicken.... gotta act like a chicken..gotta act like a chicken... ooh! theres the lady that lives in the house that brings out food for the chickens.... man, chickens have it made! Okay.... getting in line..maybe she wont know that i'm not a chicken... gotta act like a chicken..gotta act like a chicken.... Yes! I'm in... "
tongue.png

Last edited:

Imp

All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
The Emerald City
My Coop
My Coop
So, Not only are they lining up by color, but by size too?

Are you sure you weren't in your closet?
roll.png

Imp

Redhen-
yuckyuck.gif

Last edited:

ruby

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Gold Hill, Alabama
I have lots of sparrows. But I did invest in a 'Yankee Flipper Bird feeder". Because the squirrels were eating me out of house and home. Now the wild birds go to the feeder and I don't get many in my coop anymore. And it's fun to watch the tree rats spin on the feeder!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
13 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Quote:
Lilith took a look one look at the roosts tonight and decided to sleep in a nestbox instead. The other chickens are ticked because they aren't allowed to sleep in nestboxes, only Lilith is. Yes, I have a favorite.
tongue.gif

As for my closet....my mom would roll in her grave is she could see my closets right now. Or come back to haunt me.
hide.gif

specklesmom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Texas
What a funny picture that must have been as they marched in the door. I can see you counting.......chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken, very little chic...WHAT?

Redhen probably has it figured out. What a deal the sparrow thinks the chickens get. If he spreads the word your coop may be needing more roosts soon!

Top Bottom