I had no idea Silkies are so fragile !!!! UPDATE!! another dead!

Quote:
I was told once not to call myself names because there are too many people willing to do that for me. Mistakes happen ,don't be so hard on yourself.

Oh I so understand about the Silkies!
I just let 2 of my Cochin hens hatch out some eggs and at first everything was going well but after about a week I noticed on of the hens was attacking the poor little Silkies she hatched out! I tried to keep them away from her and let the other hen just raise them but she kept getting back in the coop and charging after them. She never tried to hurt the other chicks that one of my other Cochins has, a bantam Cochin chick, 2 large Cochin chicks and a Jersey Giant, but she kept trying to kill these sweet little innocent Silkies!
So now my 7 little Silkie chicks are in a brooder box and they are peeping for the mamma hen. I feel bad for them but they really could not keep up with the hens and bigger chicks either.
:aww

Mine were all being mothered too by both my Silver Pheonix, who decided to take the mommy position at only 6 weeks old herself
smile.png
and now they are back in a brooder in the house. They were up chirping all night long. I was wondering why, I guess now I know....
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was the fact that is was a silkie that it happened... I have found two of my cornish crosses flattened like that, too, when they had plenty of room and lots of heat. It can happen to any chick. If they're doing poorly, or are weak, they tend to find themselves at the bottom of the pile, and the other chicks are oblivious to the fact that they're flattening one of their siblings. Don't beat yourself up too bad (too late?) - it happens to the best of us. :aww

Well, I guess the first silkie was NOT flattened after all. They just are dying off, and it is only my lil black/gray silkies!!! I only have two of the lil fellas left and really wanted the lil black ones!!!
barnie.gif

We have been watching them closely all day and they are just growing weak and then falling over. I have seen them eat and drink here and there through out the day but moving slugishly.
All the other chicks are fine and very spunky. I have never had chicks die for no reason before.
hmm.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom