I had no idea Silkies are so fragile !!!! UPDATE!! another dead!

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
Went out to the (brooder) coop to check on the babies and found a lil poor black silkie chick....FLATTENED and squashed to death!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I always have my babies with my older ones (up to 7 weeks old) (all standard breeds) have never had a problem. The others seemed so much stronger and stable... but these lil silkies dont move! they are so much more fragile and clutzy, they walk and stumble, if they topple over they struggle trying to get up........nothing like having standard breed chicks. And they walk right into the water. I have never seen a chick do that. Now I see why one could drown!!
It's my fault....I didn't do my homework to read up on them before I got them, was just sooooo excited to get the lil fluffies.
love.gif

They needed extra special treatment. I'm a bad chicken mom!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
AWWWWWWWWWWW
sad.png
...I am so sorry...I hope the little fluffie was not one of mine
tongue.png

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry!!
sad.png

You're not a bad chicken Mom!!~~2 days ago I hatched standards with my silkies, too. It did work out OK so far, but I think I should hatch them separately as the little ones did get walked all over an awful lot!! I won't do it again though
wink.png

Lots of....
hugs.gif
Lisa

I have had the red stars and RIR and I just got what are supposed to be 2 black stars and 2 EE chicks as well as a buff orp. I know what you mean by stumbling tiny chicks, weaving and wobbling, beccause these supposed black stars are nothing like the red stars I got and they are also like the EE in that they are soooo tiny and they honestly seem more like biggish bugs to me than chicks. The buff orp is supposedly the same age, but looks 3 X the size - like a bruiser in comparison. I can understand your issue with the silky chicks, because of seeing these others (and wondering, since they are sooo different, if I really got black stars) They are very cute but again, they seem like big bugs
smile.png
Sorry for your baby and remember we do the best that we know and when we know better, we do better. You'll do better in the future and at least you are here on this forum, trying to learn all you can in addition to experience, which can be negative as well as positive. You are trying.

Thanks....I just feel so bad like I set him up for his untimely death...
hit.gif

It's one thing if he was sick and died but I set up the senario for disaster!!! I am so Stupid!
sad.png

To begin with the bird may have had another problem and ended up
under the pile.

Silkies aren't fragile. We've had silkie chicks with older standards and
not had a problem.

Finding a dead chick under a pile of birds is unfortunately a very normal
and common thing.

Chit happens. Don't be so hard on yourself. My wife sat on a silkie chick
once. Yeah she cried.
sad.png

I have a production red and a black star. The star is smaller than the red But older and The head hen of my flock. I also have a Buff Orph and every thing I have read says they are larger birds. Mine is larger than the Silverlaced Wydonnett Pullet I have and My black star pullet as well. But I believe They are actually very close in age.

I accidently killed a tiny pair of three day old cochin chicks. I let it get to warm in their brooder. It was a hundread percent my fault and I felt aweful. I usually tell my children the truth about every thing to get them used to the world But I felt so guilty I had to tell them the babies flew away. The older daughter has some suspicion that it may not be possable.
roll.png

sad.png
sad.png

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I stepped on a D'uccle chick, and had to watch him die...
sad.png
It was horrible, and It bothered me for a long time, but I know it was an accident, and if I could have done something different, I would have. Don't be too hard on yourself.

ohhh Thanks everyone for the pep support! Hopefully I won't make anymore dumb mistakes with these lil ones.....
roll.png
but then again....something is always bound to happen.....
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom