I had to change dog food - $42 a bag is over the top

I guess I really feed my dogs gold because I feed Innova Evo which is $53.00 for a 28lb bag.

They go through about 4-5 bags a month. One is a 140lb mastiff and the other is a 55lb ACD.

After having lost a cat last year to tampered pet food and nearly losing another, I refuse to skimp on my animals' food.

I'll cut my budget in other ways before I feed food with un-usable or harmful fillers to my pets.

Quote:
Gee, can I live at your house cause that's more than I spend on food for my hubby and me!
ep.gif

We just switched from Eukanuba to Pedigree, just couldn't afford the more expensive stuff now that we have two large breed puppies.

Quote:
Well I'm with you JH. Frankly - for us paying the bills has to take priority sometimes. If and when things settle down - or if I have to take a full time job and suddenly have more money than I know what to do with - I'll switch back.
smile.png

The reason some people dont like certain dog food brands is they sometimes have other farm animal meat the kind we ride in it.

I just took a part time job at a locally owned "natural" pet food store in Seattle and even with my employee discount the food is still feels too expensive. I was feeding my dachshunds Innova but the price got too high -and the dogs were getting a little too chubby- so I switched to Canidae, which is what they ate when I first got them, and the price of that has just gone up about $4-$6/bag in the past month or two. While it takes my weiner dogs longer to go through a bag of food than a larger breed dog, those costs still add up when you have other animals to feed and their food is expensive too.

Lydia

We don't have many choices because one of our dogs is allergic to everything under the sun. We used to buy Nutro but with three dogs, it was becoming way too expensive. So, we switched to Costco brand!! They are actually doing so much better on that than any other food we've ever bought them... and it's $20 for 40lbs. Can't beat that!

I had to switch also...2 saint Bernards...
ep.gif
....so now i buy purina one large breed...but every morning i also add fresh veggies to it....whatever i have...spinich,cabbage, kale, green beans, squash,brussel sprouts, carrots..etc...not a whole lot..but enough to give them some extra nutrients.(its actually one of the reasons i started a garden this year).plus..with large breed dogs..thay say..things like cabbage and brussel sprouts and kale..have something in t hem(cant remember what,,sorry..DUH!!
hu.gif
)...that helps keep thier joints healthy...and they love it..so...
idunno.gif

and for my cats..i have 6..and again..i couldnt afford to keep them on straight Iams..so what i do now is..half Iams and half purina..Healthy Nutrition...and they are still healthy, so..
idunno.gif
...it works for us..
smile.png
..Wendy

Last edited:
I hear you, My parents have two labs, one is 3-4 years old male, the other one is 13 months old daughter of the male,
We had to change dog food for the reason is they are older, and dog food went up in price,
We used puppy chow,
Now we buy the UFA's dog food, They have a shiny coat now better then the puppy chow,

2 years ago There was reports of lambs killing dogs and cats,
Did they stop using that brand or what?

Back
Top Bottom