I had to cull my baby chick. I am still shuddering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must understand that inhaling ether is no more traumatic than other inhaled anesthetics. I've been given those for minor medical procedures and went peacefully into La-La Land. An overdose would have been pretty painless I can assure you.
I just spoke to my brother who is a Harvard trained anesthesiologist with decades of experience. He said he has put people under using ether. Ether is not commonly used because it is flammable and explosive, it's use is not illegal. Ether can cause side effects, but is a very effective anesthetic. He said death would be painless and without struggle and therefore humane.
That is good enough for me! Also, that's my last comment on the subject. Except to say I've heard of the vinegar & baking soda method. For me that would be more difficult...but not as hard as pulling a creatures head off! Gesh...
Best of luck to anyone grapling with this dilema.

Last edited:
The vinegar and baking soda method is tricky. You have to be careful not to mix it too quickly, have the correct sized container, tubing, and so on. I think the ether would be much easier. And I have to say the idea of idea of having to euthanize any animal you care for, while is upsetting, the easier the method (for you and the patient), the less you'll feel bad about it. While I was nervous about euthanizing my pet mouse with vinegar and baking soda, I felt bad for a lot less time than taking the other one to get stabbed in the heart by a vet.

This is a very old; a Four Year Old thread people.

Having to dispatch a bird is a touchy subject. Ranting does little good and if often a violation of BYC rules against excessive fighting, flaming and so on.

We'll just let this old thread remain resting in peace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom