i hate chicken wire

Brand new eyeglasses, huge scratch across left lens while trying to cut the stuff. Blasted chicken wire, I guess better to have to replace my lens than my eye!!!!

Me too! I just finished my run and meatie tractor a few weeks ago, and the entire time I was working with the stuff (and not just it, the hardware cloth as well, just because it's so darn hard to roll out) I was planning to start a blog called "I hate chicken wire." My hands and arms are still covered with healing scratches. I even took a slash across the face from the #(%*$ hardware cloth).

So glad it's all done. Of course every time I think that I find one more thing I need to do with the stuff
barnie.gif

Man I agree, If you work by yourself you are always fighting it, either it rolls up to you and you get tangled up in it or it rolls away from you and you have to chase it.

Forget the last few feet if you can even get it to straighten out you feel like you should get some kind of a worlds record.

I use it for the tops of my runs and have spent more time untangeling my hair. Please all the cuts, scrapes and scratches.

Now my burro has figured out if she can find the seam then she can separate the pieces and let all the birds out.

I dont know about the cloth I dont think I have ever seen it but I do like regular fencing. However I did get smart and bought a wrachet thingy to help with that.

We should start an anti chicken wire club.
wink.png

lau.gif
Another tip! The wire that comes annoyingly interwoven throughout the roll...use it to "weave" shut the gaps between to runs of it. It's like sewing with wire! I thought it was resourceful, but it is time consuming. Zip ties work great too like was suggested. I've been too stubborn to break them out yet. I want to return what I don't use because this run is costing me a fortune! These chickens! lol I'm shocked after hundreds of years they haven't evolved to breathe fire or something to defend themselves. My husband says this is our fault for domesticating them so well.
gig.gif

It depends on what you're doing with the chicken wire. If you're trying to create a sort of sculpture with it, then yes it sucks. If you're trying to block up some holes, it's okay. It seems to work with making little temporary boxes that we use when our chickens are sick or injured.

Helpful hint, have two people working with you.

Anyone used tenax poultry fence yet? I was looking at hardware cloth to use but this product seem to look good too but just wanted to see if anyone used it yet. Since it seem like alot have been complaining about chicken wire and hardware cloth, on how hard it is to work with. Going to homedepot to check it out later today, will report back.

Description from home depot
This long lasting, UV stabilized, black plastic fence is an alternative to traditional chicken wire. This plastic fence will not rust or corrode and is easy to reuse. It can be used in many applications, including poultry runs and screening, and as a fence around vegetable or flower gardens. It is easy to work with because it cuts with a utility knife, and leaves no sharp edges. The attractive design blends into the surrounding areas.

Very versatile
Can replace traditional chicken wire, in many applications
Holds its shape better than metal
Will not deform or stretch
Use it around plants or entire gardens for pest deterrence.
Also great as shelf liner in workshops and potting sheds.
Will not rust, rot or corrode.

Back
Top Bottom