I Hate Flies!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancy1zak, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Who has flies? I have flies. YUCK. I had a poop board so I could scrap it everyday, but it was more disgusting then the litter boxes. The poop would be splattered all over the poop board. At least in the litter boxes it hits shavings and stays formed. I pick the poop out of the boxes everyday and throw it away. I rake the run for dried poop...everyday (unless it is raining)...I still have flies. Gross! Any ideas how to keep them away?

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The only flies I see in our yard are black soldier flies from a natural colony that has set up shop in the composter. I've read that black soldier flies repel other kinds of flies, plus you get to feed the grubs to the chickens.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm gonna try that!! [​IMG] Thanks for the thread!

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Flies do not like Vanilla extract - it has to be the real stuff, however. A vanilla car deodorizer hung in the coop will get things fixed up for you.

6. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I second the vanilla car freshener

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I approve of vanilla car fresheners too.Can buy em at family dollar for 3 fer a buck.[​IMG]

8. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm SO GLAD I ran across this post!!! My DH has been hanging those flytrap bags and they smell HORRIBLE! I'm going out today and getting a bunch of vanilla fresheners.

9. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Thx! I am heading out to purchase some vanilla air fresheners today. The flies we have are the little black ones.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I wonder what you do with the manure once you take it off the poop boards? Is it just dumped someplace or buried? I have found that when the chickens can access their droppings the number of flies diminishes to the point where they aren't a problem. Like it or not the birds will sort through the droppings to get the fly eggs and larva. I don't use poop board but put down a deep layer of pine shavings and clean the coop once a year. In 25 years of keeping from 20 to 40 birds I've never noticed a problem except in the early spring after I've cleaned the coop and haven't tilled under the droppings. This goes away as soon as I either till the garden or let the chickens out to dig around in it. Otherwise, living where we do in the country, the only flies we have problems with are black flies and horse flies.

BTW, while using vanilla air fresheners will drive the flies out of the area where you hang them, they'll just go someplace else.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by