I Hate Flies!

Quote:
lau.gif

I am laughing so hard that my eyes are watering!
Gotta share this with my husband.

I've had a heck of a time with flies this year, too! I have some Skin So Soft that I use for my horses so I'm going to give that a try and see how it works. For them, I dilute it with water and add a tbsp of eucalyptus oil and a tbsp of tea tree oil.

If that doesn't work, I will try the vanilla air fresheners and cross my fingers, I HATE flies!!!

They have been horrible this year!!! My bf went out to get a trap for them with some solution and we have had to empty it a couple times a week because it is just soooo full of flies. But since we got it we don't ever notice them anymore. We clean the coop regularly and it is movable.

I made the 2L bottle fly trap about 5 days ago and caught absolutely nothing! Broke out the SSS and sprayed it on the outside of coop and some boards I have up against run blocking sun from hitting the water and feed, flies took a hike. I just go out and spray it in the morning when the girls come out and it keeps them down, not gone, but down.

Contemplating putting the run in a specific spot, enclosing the bottom with wire and putting a layer of pine shavings and DE down, then layer it. Move the run and coop to a new spot, take old pine shavings and place in compost bin. Instead of just having the coop and run on the yard/grass/dirt; since the droppings will dry up better with the pine absorbing most of the moisture. Maybe this will help more. I don't know, we will try it.

We only have 5 girls and they are only 3.5 mos old. They'll be laying soon enough and I try to keep everything as clean as possible. I want to be considerate of the neighbors so we don't get any complaints. Not too sure if we are legal or outlaws as our ordinance says we are outlaws, but the stipulation says we aren't. So I go with the latter of the two.

I've been pretty successful at reducing flies by using diatomaceous earth (DE). I know this substance has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, but in case you're running across this for the first time...

- It is made up of prehistoric, tiny diatom shells that have sharp edges
- It is mined from naturally occurring deposits throughout the US (elsewhere as well I suppose)
- There are different types that you can buy; some for pool filters and some that are food grade. You want the latter around chickens
- Food grade DE can be fed as a percentage feed, for certain benefits
- It kills many types of insects
- Since there are no chemicals involved, there are no concerns in that area

Usage in the coup is to sprinkle it in various locations. I have also dusted my hens, and sprinkled it on the ground where they like to dust. It has markedly reduced the amount of irritable scratching that the hens do, and it has virtually eliminated sightings of flies and mites.

Good stuff!

I used DE with no success for flies.
I've got vanilla air freshners in and round the coop, minimal flies.
On the runs fence I have rescue fly traps, stinky but effective(I honestly don't find the smell unpleasant but most people do), I've also noticed that the trap I put out 4 days ago has maggots in it...I'm wanting to toss them and replace already, but my very odd 17 yr old daughter wants to keep them and watch what happens. There's also a couple black wasps in there.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=AWc9To_lAsHiiAKN88XDBg&ved=0CI0BEPMCMAA

Back
Top Bottom