I HATE installing Hardware Cloth!!! HELP!

humboldtpeeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
It scratches, its heavy, unwieldy and awkward and I suck at putting it on! Ack!

In the process of wrapping a 5' x 10' run with hardware cloth. The vision: Keep it all one piece for the bottom three feet with a skirt extending out 1' 5" . Was going to wrap the top too... but oof...now i dont know.
It is soooo hard to keep the hardware cloth flat and looking good!

We had decided to use a staple gun to get the cloth in place then follow behind with using screws and washers to actually secure it. I cant say that this plan is working and maybe I just need to "let go" of the idea of having it flat because we keep getting these parts that kinda bubble and its not like I can just "pull" it tight. GRRRRRRRRR.

81828_photo-42.jpg

81828_photo-41.jpg

Is there any trick to this? Since Ive only stapled it I can still make some adjustments- should I just cut it instead of trying to wrap it around the corners? would that help it pull tight?

Wear gloves.

That said...yes I would cut it right there at the corner where you are going around and attach it as a separate piece. Sure would make it easier to get it flat.

I used it on the chicken tractor I built with PVC pipe for the arch. I was cut up.

Long sleeves and gloves!

I feel your pain. When I work with hardward cloth small children cannot be near. I prefer to cut it to length instead of trying to wrap it around the corners. Keeping it taught? Let that notion go. I feel like I am successful if it is just up. I staple and then come back with screws and wood strips to cover and keep it attached.
sharon

you have done a terrific job so far, just imagine if you did like to install hardware cloth
wink.png
Overall, it looks great.
I hate to put them on too. I would see blood all over my hands and wouldn't know where I cut it so I continue it anyways
hu.gif

To take the curl out of it so it is easy to handle I usually roll it out, flip it over, and roll it loosely in the opposite direction until it wants to lay flat.

If your framing isn't perfectly plumb and square it is next to impossible to apply long lengths, wrap them around corners and such, and keep it tight. If you don't want the loose areas, you would be better off cutting it into smaller sections and applying it, especially wrapping around a corner post that may not be plumb.

Oh, I totally know what you mean.....I've installed alot of it, and like another member mentioned, I roll it out and sort of roll it backwards slightly to get it to straighten out. I don't wrap it, I cut the pieces per section, then I hammer it down to the framework with steeples....Not staples because I don't think they're strong enough. Steeples are those "U" shaped nails.......(Oh I had a heck of a time getting the hang of pounding those in with the hammer.....)

I also would say, wear gloves.....

From the pic, looks like you're doing just fine!

That stuff is the worst, right! I learned quickly that leather work gloves were a must and forget about getting that stuff on there flat. I rolled it out in the driveway with weights holding the ends down and carefully measure sections...then added an extra 3 inches. A good pair of tin snippers made cutting easy.

Your coop looks great! Love the purple
thumbsup.gif

Cheers!
Melissa

L-OVE the purple!
big_smile.png

Please keep posting pics of your progress and asking good questions... cause I will be fighting with hardware cloth soon too! I love the idea of painting the frame purple... might clash with my periwinkle shed though.. heh heh...oh well, at least my neighbor likes it when I use bright colors.

more pics... more pics...
pop.gif

If you don't need it to look perfect you can pinch it up on the corners, fold it over, and cover it - I installed mine on cedar posts and wanted one continuous sheet, but the posts taper bottom to top.

Back
Top Bottom