I hate Long beach ca

I wonder if we live near eachother Onelittlechicky because I had to battle with a neighbor that was keeping a rooster that was ridiculously loud and crowing at 4 am.The guy just got rid of it, but I'm paranoid of animal control showing up at any time and busting me. Otherwise, hens are really easy to care for and great help in the garden, just give them a contained area or they will destroy everything.

We might live near each other. I live just on the other side of the 710 and willow. This is one of the very few areas in long beach you can buy a home for under $300k and get a big backyard. I'm shocked that homes near csulb have lots that big!

So do you guys know if it's only 1 hen then? Or is it different for bigger yard spaces? I've read the codes but it's seems to be subjective to the animal control/city interpretation. I just wanted to get 2 small hens to take care of our massive earwig problem since they keep destroying my garden. But I'm also not finding chicken tractors very inexpensive so I'm not sure if we can swing it right now.

How about you guys? What are you finding?

We're in a weird shaped lot, right next to the 405, which is why it's so large (our neighbors lot is 12500 sq ft and he's against the alley... I wish I had that lot with barely any neighbors). I know we can have 4 here, but the guy behind me doesn't like it so I'm pretty sure we will be getting a visit from AC soon. Where you are you should be allowed to have two, I feel like if you are closer to the beach and closer to the OC/LA county line, they make a bigger stink about it. As far as the chicken tractor, making is the way to go If $ is tight.

From what I have heard from other chicken keepers in the area on small lots, as long as you don't get a complaint, you will be fine. Animal control doesn't go around looking for illicit coops. But if you get even one complaint from a neighbor or passerby, animal control will be promptly out to tell you "you can only have one hen!" or some of the officers say "only one, unless your coop is 50 ft. from a dwelling." Stay away from noisy high production breeds, don't get more chickens than your family needs for eggs, get a automatic coop door opener (to make sure the chickens aren't complaining loudly to be let out early on the weekends,) no roosters, and you would be likely be okay keeping chickens in L.B.C.

Last edited:
The public hearings on updating the Long Beach Urban Agriculture Codes are coming up next week. If you live in Long Beach or are just local, please come out and show your support for backyard chickens next week. We need all the help we can get to fill the room with supporters. The following announcement was taken from EverythingLongBeach.com

Residents Invited to Attend Urban Agriculture Meetings June 11th & 14th

2012-06-06 · By Editor

Photo by Josh Larios
Residents are invited to share their thoughts on raising backyard livestock, and potential changes to the City’s laws on chickens, goats and bees in residential areas.
The first public meeting will be held on Monday, June 11, at 6:30 pm at the Long Beach Community Action Partnership, 3012 Long Beach Blvd. The second meeting will be held on Thursday, June 14, at 6:30 pm at the Whaley Park Community Center, 5620 E. Atherton St. The same content will be discussed at both meetings.

Public feedback gathered at these two meetings will be presented to the City Council’s Environmental Committee, which is scheduled to consider the matter on Tuesday, June 26. The City’s current ordinance allows livestock in some areas of Long Beach, but not in others. The Environmental Committee is considering an ordinance that may standardize the City’s livestock ordinance throughout the City, and create new standards for allowing chickens, goats and bees in residential areas.
For more information, contact Larry Rich, City of Long Beach Office of Sustainability, 562.570.5839.

The public hearings on updating the Long Beach Urban Agriculture Codes are coming up next week. If you live in Long Beach or are just local, please come out and show your support for backyard chickens next week. We need all the help we can get to fill the room with supporters. The following announcement was taken from EverythingLongBeach.com

Residents Invited to Attend Urban Agriculture Meetings June 11th & 14th

2012-06-06 · By Editor

Photo by Josh Larios
Residents are invited to share their thoughts on raising backyard livestock, and potential changes to the City’s laws on chickens, goats and bees in residential areas.
The first public meeting will be held on Monday, June 11, at 6:30 pm at the Long Beach Community Action Partnership, 3012 Long Beach Blvd. The second meeting will be held on Thursday, June 14, at 6:30 pm at the Whaley Park Community Center, 5620 E. Atherton St. The same content will be discussed at both meetings.

Public feedback gathered at these two meetings will be presented to the City Council’s Environmental Committee, which is scheduled to consider the matter on Tuesday, June 26. The City’s current ordinance allows livestock in some areas of Long Beach, but not in others. The Environmental Committee is considering an ordinance that may standardize the City’s livestock ordinance throughout the City, and create new standards for allowing chickens, goats and bees in residential areas.
For more information, contact Larry Rich, City of Long Beach Office of Sustainability, 562.570.5839.
Haaaaa! I just posted this on another thread related to Whittier. I'm going to go at least to the second one and to the first one if at all possible. Long Beach has just got to wake up. Such a travesty to not allow us to live more organic and closer to the ground.... Are you there??? Jane

Hi!
I'm in East Long Beach, near CSULB. We just inherited 3 hens from a friend who was forced to rehome 3 of her 4 (the little old lady behind her didn't even mess with Animal Control, she called the City and someone was out 3 hours later). Anyway, we have a much bigger lot (around 9500 sq ft- huge for the area) and we've measured for setback compliance several times. I'm almost 100% sure we're w/in the setback rules but I'm still worried that someone will call regarding noise. They squawk for about 20 minutes every time one of them lays an egg. I'd love to compare notes w/ another LB Backyard Farmer!
I'm in East LB too.... by Rite Aid at Spring and Palo Verde. We've only got two now, but have bunches hatching!!! Hope to see more info and positive stuff coming out from the meetings this next week. Just love my babies... such amazing animals. As for noise? really really really????? Seriously, if the decibel level was anywhere close to the dogs/cars/stereos around me I suppose they'd have a point. I just make sure everyone around is well bribed!!

Jane

I definitely will to be at the second public hearing on Thursday and then I plan go to the Environmental Committee meeting on the 26th. Yesterday I was at the Green Long Beach Festival (along with a few other area chicken keepers) representing a local urban chicken group L.A.U.C.E., Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts, along with Backward Bee Keepers and Long Beach Edible Garden Club trying to get the word out about the meetings and share information about urban agriculture.

A lot of folks I spoke with are in support of chickens, but I am not sure how many folks will actually be able to attend the public hearings. For many folks, the city didn't give the community much notice. Spread the word and bring some friends.

I have been attend the different meetings and hearings since 2010. In general, the process is moving forward, but listening to one of the 3 city council members/ environmental committee members, O'Donnell, his comments have sounded like he isn't supportive of any change, or is almost against prohibiting bees, chickens, and goats entirely. Anyone living in his district, really needs to let him know they want improvements to the codes for urban agriculture.

I definitely will to be at the second public hearing on Thursday and then I plan go to the Environmental Committee meeting on the 26th. Yesterday I was at the Green Long Beach Festival (along with a few other area chicken keepers) representing a local urban chicken group L.A.U.C.E., Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts, along with Backward Bee Keepers and Long Beach Edible Garden Club trying to get the word out about the meetings and share information about urban agriculture.

A lot of folks I spoke with are in support of chickens, but I am not sure how many folks will actually be able to attend the public hearings. For many folks, the city didn't give the community much notice. Spread the word and bring some friends.

I have been attend the different meetings and hearings since 2010. In general, the process is moving forward, but listening to one of the 3 city council members/ environmental committee members, O'Donnell, his comments have sounded like he isn't supportive of any change, or is almost against prohibiting bees, chickens, and goats entirely. Anyone living in his district, really needs to let him know they want improvements to the codes for urban agriculture.
I didn't know about the Green LB Festival.... So sorry I missed it. Not that I could have gone, but I would have sent my hubby and daughter! We're so excited about finally at least having a word or a voice somewhere. I feel so very strongly about this issue and am trying to find out everything I can before I go. Won't be too specific when I'm there about my actual address.... considering the number of eggs I have and the number of hens in the back yard, but for pete's sake.... it's a way to green up this already improving city.

I'm planning on bringing friends, and am spreading the word as much as possible. Thanks for your blog as well. Have visited it! Jane

Back
Top Bottom