I Hate Losing One for No Apparent Reason

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigoakhunter, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Was around the farm all day, chickens all acting fine. Had water and feed. I had given them some partially ripe tomatoes for a treat. Left home about 3pm. The birds in this coop were all in the enclosed, roofed run. It has 1x2 welded wire fencing. Went to visit step-mother who just got out of hospital, then wife and I had dinner. Got home 4 hours later. One golden Comet dead on floor of run. She was 24 weeks old. Had been laying about 4 weeks. No sign of egg bound or crop problem or bleeding or injury or pecking. It was not hot out. They had food and water.

I never understand this. I know it occasionally happens, but is not ever good.

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    I'm so sorry your Comet died. I know it just happens but it doesn't make it any easier.

You sound like a knowledgeable chicken owner and I'm sure it wasn't something you did. Chickens are complex creatures like us and anything could have gone wrong. Could have had a heart attack, stroke or something else in her body didn't develop correctly and finally gave out. I like to think that it is natural selection at work so the strongest can live on.

I can tell you a story about one of my chickens that died. I can laugh about it now. I did everything right.....food, water, treats veggies from the garden etc. One day one of my most beautiful chickens was just dead. I couldn't believe it. I was curious to try and find out what happened and did a necropsy. Her body look perfect and pink and well fleshed out. THEN I cut open her crop. She had every piece of junk in there that you could imagine. Small pieces of ribbon, tiny pieces of fabric, a few staples and screws and part of a clam shell and part of a planter that had dried out from the sun and had started to chip.

I've always been very good about looking at the ground when I'm walking to make sure I pick up little pieces of stuff but I guess I missed some. To this day I can't figure out where the fabric came from but they do free range in the woods.

Again I'm sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

3. mrsp523

mrsp523 Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Sorry big, loss is never easy. And purple, alls I can say is "wow" staples and screws? I can remember when mine were younger one of them had something about 2 inches long in their mouth and the others were chasing her trying to get it. Hunk of squash??...no.....finally caught up to her and is was a piece of rubber!

4. callen

callen In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    same thing happed to me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] but mine had a full crop and the stuff in side was soft like mash [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] it was as i found out in the end that it was a frog:yuckyuck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by