I HATE my PO.... ** update page 3**

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
I have been waiting 3 months for these Salmon Fav eggs to get here. I went down to PO on Weds to place hold on mail. Went on Thurs to pick up, no hold on mail. The eggs didn't come, so I put another hold on the mail. We spent the day in San Francisco today and it was very warm. Coming home at 9 pm, I notice there is a key missing out of our Mailboxes.... I thought, "oh, no, surely they didn't deliver the eggs!!" Sure enough there are my eggs, sitting in a hot box all day (when they should never have been delivered, AND, they are squished!! I am going to cry
hit.gif

Amazingly enough, not one egg was broken. But how do I know if the air cells are still intact or that the yolks didn't break????

DSCN2555.jpg

DSCN2548.jpg

And they have the nerve to stamp it with this!! As if my shipper put it in the mail this way!!

DSCN2554.jpg

DSCN2559.jpg

Last edited:
Let the eggs sit until morning and then candle them. You will be able to see if the air cell at the top is shifting when you tip the egg. It will give you an indication of how badly they where bounced around. Hope the air cell stays at the top of all eggs for you.

Geez... what people gotta do to get packages in one piece is put something like "VWR" or "SIGMA" or some other large lab product name on it to get something in one piece. Rarely do I ever see a damaged package come in to lab. Big kudos to who ever packed the eggs though. They made it uncracked!

I'd be pretty upset too. I think I am going to have to post a thread about how I love my PO b/c so many people have such trouble w/theirs & mine is picky to the point where if I am not there to take them every time they head back to the cold po office...which gets annoying b/c I'd rather them be left sometimes, but hey...I don't want your experience.... But for reall....who did those eggs come from!?!? Major props!!! You had *someone* looking out for you
wink.png
Oh and even if the egg cells are moving, don't chunk em. I have been reading about something you can do to increase your chances of them making it...if you *have* to do this, pm me & I'll tell you more.

Was the box marked "fragile", "Live Eggs", anything like that? I couldn't tell from the pictures. The first time I got eggs through the mail, the seller marked the box extremely well on all sides. The last time, there was NO marking at all on the box.(not the same seller.) I was scared to open the box, but everything was ok.

If the air cell is moving all you have to do is incubate for the first 4 days with them standing in an egg carton. Then put them in the turner. Hatch rate will be lowered some what, but far better than tossing them.

TX may have a different way of handling it. That is the great thing about this forum. Always lots of knowledge and experience when one runs into a problem.

The person that packed the eggs deserves a congratulatory letter, for the job they did that allowed them to stay in one piece.

Wow, Suz! Looks like they ran the box thru 'The Mangler'.
Those eggs must have an angel looking out for them (and must have been really well wrapped/packaged).

It's a shame they got left in the hot mailbox like that after they'd already been so banged around.

The best you can do at this point is set them and hope for the best.
I like the idea of starting them upright in an egg carton (would starting them in the auto-turner, unplugged, then plugging the turner in at 4 days work the same?).

Good luck!
Lisa

Holly smokes that box went though h3ll , looks like someone used it as a bean bag seat, it is amazing the eggs didnt get broken up.

Dont bother with the egg carton ,just unplug the turner and load the eggs, no sense in re-opening the bator a second time to play around with an egg carton and tuner swap.

However i dont think just letting them sit there with out being turned is gonna make any difference..

If the air cell is damaged it is damaged but doesnt mean they will not grow and hatch, if the heat got to them, it may have destroyed the fertility...incubate and see...

charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom