I hate my RIRs :(

bearcat73

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Southwest Ohio
I did lots of research in the spring and decided to go with RIRs. I had to order 15. They were nice at first, but now they are just all mean b*tches. They are not friendly to us and they are especially mean to any newcomer chickens. And I think they killed some of my 3 month olds that I thought were old enough to be with them. Ughh

Anyone else have similar problems with RIRs? They are about 24 weeks old now, and no eggs yet either. I hope they taste good!
lol.png

I have a 19 week old EE that is the most lovely chicken ever. Wish I could clone her!

My RIR were not friendly and were a little aggressive, but that all changed when one started laying, she has become soooo friendly now and talks to me and follows me around. I am giving the other 2 a chance to come around after they start laying. My RIR are the ones who plucked my EE's to shreds, so I put them in a new pen and they have done great with the black australorps. They are great layers and thats why I wanted them. Oh and I have also noticed a change by putting them in a pen with a roo, he keeps them in line. So wait until they start laying, you may change your mind.
*edited to add first started laying at 20 weeks to the day! The EE's are very sweet birds that I have and I love them but they are definitely on the low end of the totem pole, everyone bosses them around at our house.

Last edited:
I have RIR's and no they do not get alone with my EE's. I think I will need to give my EE's to someone.
I did put one of the RIR's in the cage with the EE's then he wasn't so tuff. LOL.

I give my RIR's a lot of treats and make them come close to me. I think that helped. I do have some that are 27 weeks and not laying. (I think). I am keeping them in the barn for 3 days to see if they are laying. Their combs are all red and I think they are laying somewhere else.
he.gif

I did read somewhere on here how to make the roo's know you are the alpfa, spelling, roo. But I don't remember where, sorry.

I hated RIRs too, until this year. Everyone said get RIRs, get RIRs, so I decided to try them one last time. It seems that RIRs are more territorial, and more curious. They will mutilate any new comers when the are younger, but once they started laying, they calmed down and get along with all the other chickens. They don't even peck me when I gather eggs.

My RIR rooster was very friendly and then decided to get mean. Well, I decided to let him know who is in charge and we have had an acceptable living arrangement ever since. He's even kind of nice again.

This year, my Pain In the Butts where White Rocks. I don't think I will ever own another White Rock Rooster as long as I live. I hated them. The hens are fine. The roosters where nasty from two different places.

If you want to get rid of these layers, sell them! Here in MN, RIR pullets at Point of Lay are fetching $12-$15 each!

I may try trading them out but I did buy them with the intention of eating some of them anyway. That is why I wanted a dual purpose breed. However, I will wait it out and see if their personalities change after they start laying. Should be any day now, right?

And maybe i just have too many of them...they are like a freaking gang of bandits or something. Maybe if I only have 5 or six instead of 15.

I didn't particularly like my RIR hen. She was a great layer, but not friendly. I probably won't get one again.

Craigslist is a good idea. I would just sell them, maybe keep a few for eggs until you get another batch up and growing. Young hens are of value and sell easily.

I might suggest trying several breeds. Buff Orps are excellent layers and usually sweet birds. Speckled Sussex are very sweet and curious, eggs are medium size. Maybe Black Australorps would be good. All 3 of those go broody though. Henderson's breed chart has helped me out a lot:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Don't feel bad about not liking them, though. Some chickens are just not that special or friendly--keep looking!
smile.png

I have to move my RIRs to get into the pen. I don't try to hold them but can catch them if needed. They show no signs of aggression toward me at all. I do catch and hold my roo at least once a week to keep him from turning mean and to trim his nails so he won't hurt the girls. My hens aren't laying yet but they should start anyday now. I have 25 RIR, 4 Black Sexlink, and 3 Barred Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom