1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I hate these leg bands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PunkinPeep, Jan 7, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    J.Pryce :

I used different colored zip ties due to not being able to get leg bands & they work great.

Yep zip ties works too if you only have a few birds. If you have alot or have different lines out of one breed, then that would be a different matter unless you have all kinds of colors of zip ties.​

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    You do make a good point EweSheep...I see the sense in that. However, I hardly wear my wedding rings because my fingers swell up in the summer heat and shrink in the winter cold. (My DH says I'm hunting for his replacement! [​IMG] ) I remember reading a survival book many years back, it said to remove all metal from your body (earings, rings, necklaces) when you are faced with the winter cold because it draws so much heat away from you to keep it warm. So...that has retained in my brain. It carried over to how I maintain my flock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I cannot find different colored zip ties here - black and white are my choices - the guys at the "improvement stores" and mom/pop stores looked at me like I had lost my mind when I asked. [​IMG]

I just do not think I can toe punch [​IMG] Our area is harsh, no grass and the green growth we get has some nasty thorns/barbs - so I worry about their punches getting torn or a burr stuck. (high desert, not for the faint of heart)

The wing band, it does interest me.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is a link to the Cutler Supply leg band size chart. I found it works for hens but roosters need to go bigger.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&zenid=ca1lbh7mgofsebg8e35bi02bq7

I have not had that much of a problem getting them on or off, but it does require somd finger strength. The way I do mine is to put a generational color on one leg, like last year's hatch wear orange on their left leg, then I use different colors or color combinations on their right legs for individuals, say a blue on one and a yellow and blue on another. I do not have a tremendous number of chickens so this system works for me.

1 person likes this.
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use them and never have problems with them falling off. Sounds like the size is too big.

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Wouldn't a large metal band around the leg contribute to a cold foot/leg for those of us in bad winter areas?
    I use colored zip ties. I've lots of birds and they all look the same to most people.
    I have 3 diffent color zips.
    they go in combinations ie:
    RB = Right Blue = "Pretty Boy"
    LBO = Left Blue Orange
    get it?

7. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I got my different colored zip ties at Ace hardware. If you have an Ace where you are they could special order it for you if they don't stock them. I also used craft beads of different colors attached to the zip tie for ID of the birds, as I had only 8 different colors of ties to choose from & multiple colors of beads, all of my 30 chickens have their own ID

1 person likes this.
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:No, it never seems to bother them. If you had them out in the snow, it could bother them.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

J.Pryce :

I used different colored zip ties due to not being able to get leg bands & they work great.

This seems to be a good idea, and much cheaper also. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by