I HATE THIS INCUBATOR

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kristy in WA, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    I hate this stupid incubator that I borrowed. The temps keep fluctuating so much, I doubt anything is even still alive. We candled for day 14 about 2 days ago, and yesterday we found the bator at 94 degrees. We got it back to around 100, but then this morning when I woke up, it was like 104-105. They're probably all dead by now. We didn't really see movement when we candled, but we are also first timers, so didn't really know what we were looking at. But I've seen video of candling, and those little suckers are moving all over the place. I guess I'll know in a week. What a disappointment if they're all dead because we cooked them. I'm not doing this again in this stupid bator. I'm buying a Genesis 1588 before I do this ever again. Kristy

PS, do I turn them on day 18, or is the last day I turn day 17?

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    So sorry about the incubator! Day 18 is when we stopped turning, but then they hatched a day and a half early.

Try again with the new one. Hatching is addicting:D

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    When day 18 arrives just stop turning them. So if you put them in on day 0(when you set your eggs)at 10am then quit turning day 18 at 10am. I hope you have a good hatch. Get yourself a genesis hovabator. They are wonderful, just set the eggs and add water and go.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I see that you homeschool. So do we and I have used Sonlight in the past.

We just incubated for the first time and we have 7- 1 week old bantams. Several were ones we didn't think were fertile or dead from candling. But we left them all in the bator just in case...I am so glad that we did!

[​IMG]

OOPs wrong picture...that is our puppy Leo!

[​IMG]

This is hopefully the right picture.

We had 10 eggs that didn't hatch. 4 infertile and 6 fertile. It was a great science day when we opened them up and saw the fertile ones.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  5. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe not. i have learned that if you have your bator set at the right temp for a week or two and it drops to 95 or 97 like your did watch it for a few hours it will come back up. cause if the room temp drops 10 deg. it will do that a LG will anyway. if you know that its been running fine fro day please don't thouch it. but i pray that your babies are ok. mine done that the first hatch i had and i hatched 8 out of 10 eggs.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that. I'm going through it right now too, but thank heavens have avoided the huge temp. spikes so far. I'm only on day 5 so I'm still holding my breath.

My Genesis 1588's thermostat went out at the end of my hatch last weekend (I lost 6 eggs [​IMG] ) and I have had to send it in for repair. Meanwhile I'm using a borrowed LG and I can't wait until I get my Hova Bator running again! It is so easy to use that now that I'm having to deal with this LG, I feel like I've been very spoiled. I am honestly ready to be spoiled again and get my 1588 back!

Good luck with your eggs. I do hope that your hatch turns out okay. [​IMG]

7. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I used a borrowed still-air Hova for my first hatch and had a zero hatch with shipped eggs. I understand how disappointing it is.

You will love hatching with a 1588. They are just about bomb-proof. It is a good investment!

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I borrowed the same for my first hatch and had the same result. I then bought a used Genisis 1588 and have had hatch rates as high as 90%.

9. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Thanks for all the encouragement! We just got our chicks from the feedstore today, so we're feeling a little more "chipper". I still have hope for my 24 eggs. They've been right around 100 today, so I'm glad the temp has been holding. We stop turning in about 2 days, and then hope for pip, zip, and crawl out! I will be so proud if even one egg hatches!!!!! Kristy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by