I hate this polar vortex!

Pics
So, my 11 ducks, all Muscovies, Pekins, and a blue Swedish were in their small run, which is wrapped in heavy plastic. I have no straw, someone keeps buying it up (70+ bales at a time!), there's just none to be found anywhere, so I have a ton of shavings in all the coops. Anyway, all the ducks, with a heat lamp going, were shivering like crazy. Even burrowed into shavings, they were just so cold. I brought them inside. Straight through my living room, through the dining room, and into what used to be a garage but is now a laundry and storage room. My husband did not say one word. I realize there will be a huge mess, but I would rather clean up after them inside than be outside all day thinking I should bring them in. They were fine until we got to the single digits, below zero, and -20F windchill.
Advice on clean up - wet/dry shop vac, i have two - a shop vac i think its 3g, its a decent size and i use it mainly for dry stuff<feathers, down, hay, pine chips, split dog/cat food, dried poo - the dry filter for it works better. The second one is a 4g Stanley and i like it more for the wet because it has an actual blower, it seems to do better with picking up liquids - wet poo, wet food, spilt water - i did have to make an adjustment on it, i have this tarplike screen material that im putting up around my back porch, i took a piece of that to put on the bottom of the ball cage because if you suck up any down feathers or feathers they go right through the large holes in the bottom and blow right back out again through the blower. I just cut a piece that was scrap fit it over the bottom and put the wet filter over top of it and it works well. The dry filter for the Stanley is to thick so it makes the motor work harder, and you don't get the proper suction, so even if i do dry stuff i dont use it... and i think i uh sucked up a mouse or rat cause i think i hear it scraching on the inside, but im afraid to open and look. Professional will be here in the morning, i think.

And if its just a small wet mess, handy wipes are my new best friends. Though i dont think small messes are in your future with 11 ducks. :):cool::)

I keep reading about ventilation and heat panels, two things i know nothing about! But ill bite, where do you buy a heat panel from? I would love to get some heat to my two poor little call hens, even if it wasnt much, they dont need much as their house is filled with straw and mostly draft-free. I know they can manage without it, but id rather have them be comfortable and not just "managing".
I decided to go with a heat panel because a) I have a small coop and am very anxious about setting a fire with a heat lamp-lots of the panels are zero clearance with minimal fire hazard b) it’s not meant to warm a coop, only to provide warmth to birds that are cold - again, my coop is small enough though that I think it does warm the whole coop, but my 3 hens gather by it when they sleep c) we had already had over a week of subzero temps without windchill and then I read it was going to be -15 w/o windchill and -40 with windchill plus at least another week of subzero temps so I decided they needed some type of break from the heat without being shocked from my toasty 70 degree house. I also have a girl who is molting right now and they’re all still eating snow instead of from their new heated waterer (!!!!) so they have an increase risk of frostbite as it is (my black Star has a mild case as of last night).

I did open up ventilation a bit more since now I have a heat source. I don’t have a huge amount of ventilation because again I have a small coop ~3x3x3 with only 3 hens so my ventilation is about 3x2 inch right now on n and s side of my coop. I researched a lot and then come to my own conclusions. I think that’s all we can do. It makes sense to me to have good ventilation to prevent moisture build up, but also to let other things out like ammonia and dust. I t also makes sense to me to not have the ventilation right on them, so I took my top roosting bar off because it’s right where my ventilation is so it was hitting them all night. But I also don’t think it makes sense to have an extremely large amount of ventilation where they can never get warm. Two of my hens are hardier breeds but one is a polish who is getting picked on a lot because of the cold weather, and we had a coyote attack a few weeks ago (and lost two girls) which I’m sure they’re still stressed from so I feel I do need to account for that as well.

I am lucky enough to have a couple of farm stores close to me but I did end up ordering my heat panel online because those stores can be pricey for things like that. There are a lot of different options out there with different wattages. I chose this one because it had the highest wattage, internal thermometer, and two heat settings (although you can purchase some items that will automatically turn on the panel when it hits a certain temp and turn off when it hits a certain temp).
Cozy Products Safe Chicken Coop Pet Heater 200W Flat Panel Technology, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1JI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TgmtAb1CND1VJ
This was another one I considered but chose to go with the one that had a higher wattage in the end.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Chicken Heated Pad Black 12.5" x 18.5" 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHK3740/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gymtAbPKSYTMC

I am going out of my mind with worry, my ducks are all shivering, and look miserable. We have a -20F windchill. These ducks are not staying in a heated shelter, they are getting wet in their water, it's freezing on their feathers. Then they are sitting in the wind, shivering, covered in ice. I've herded them into their shelter and shut the door. If they don't warm up, I'm just going to put them in my garage for a couple of days until it's out of the single digits and below zero temps. This weather.... It's just not giving them a chance to get warm at all. :(
I was having the same problem, my ducks were super cold and kept laying down to warm their feet. Once their water started freezing on their feathers I couldn't take it and brought them in the garage. I've been letting them out for a bit in the middle of the day when it's 'warmer'. They are confused and making a huge mess out of their pen in the garage but I feel better not worrying about them so much :) All these posts are making me feel better I'm not the only one who is spending a crazy amount of time each day keeping my quackers happy!

I decided to go with a heat panel because a) I have a small coop and am very anxious about setting a fire with a heat lamp-lots of the panels are zero clearance with minimal fire hazard b) it’s not meant to warm a coop, only to provide warmth to birds that are cold - again, my coop is small enough though that I think it does warm the whole coop, but my 3 hens gather by it when they sleep c) we had already had over a week of subzero temps without windchill and then I read it was going to be -15 w/o windchill and -40 with windchill plus at least another week of subzero temps so I decided they needed some type of break from the heat without being shocked from my toasty 70 degree house. I also have a girl who is molting right now and they’re all still eating snow instead of from their new heated waterer (!!!!) so they have an increase risk of frostbite as it is (my black Star has a mild case as of last night).

I did open up ventilation a bit more since now I have a heat source. I don’t have a huge amount of ventilation because again I have a small coop ~3x3x3 with only 3 hens so my ventilation is about 3x2 inch right now on n and s side of my coop. I researched a lot and then come to my own conclusions. I think that’s all we can do. It makes sense to me to have good ventilation to prevent moisture build up, but also to let other things out like ammonia and dust. I t also makes sense to me to not have the ventilation right on them, so I took my top roosting bar off because it’s right where my ventilation is so it was hitting them all night. But I also don’t think it makes sense to have an extremely large amount of ventilation where they can never get warm. Two of my hens are hardier breeds but one is a polish who is getting picked on a lot because of the cold weather, and we had a coyote attack a few weeks ago (and lost two girls) which I’m sure they’re still stressed from so I feel I do need to account for that as well.

I am lucky enough to have a couple of farm stores close to me but I did end up ordering my heat panel online because those stores can be pricey for things like that. There are a lot of different options out there with different wattages. I chose this one because it had the highest wattage, internal thermometer, and two heat settings (although you can purchase some items that will automatically turn on the panel when it hits a certain temp and turn off when it hits a certain temp).
Cozy Products Safe Chicken Coop Pet Heater 200W Flat Panel Technology, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1JI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TgmtAb1CND1VJ
This was another one I considered but chose to go with the one that had a higher wattage in the end.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Chicken Heated Pad Black 12.5" x 18.5" 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHK3740/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gymtAbPKSYTMC

Thats the exact panel i was looking at! If it starts to get much colder i think i will get it.

In terms of ventilation, my ducks stay in their pen all day and i leave the door open to the coop all day. Its a very large door, it takes up half of one of the three walls. So the only time they are all cooped up is at night, and i think with it being open all day i dont have much moisture at all. Theyre only two little calls, i hardly ever even need to change the straw.
IMG_7071.JPG

Here is their coop in the summer, taking the picture from the door on the enclosed end. I have a tarp over all the wire now and its full of straw that i fluff daily. I also put temporary boards up on two sides to help keep the chill out.

I purchased that exact same product about a month ago. So far, so good. It doesn’t really produce a lot of heat, but it definitely helps take the bitter chill off. Recommend mounting it to the wall. Just so the birds won’t knock it over.

I have a Sweeter heater bought it 2016 I have it mounted to one of the lower roosts so if anyone wants to sit or stand[OEGB] for a little warm up this heater doesn't put off much heat at all but I think it may help if someone lays right under it. I mainly got it for my old drake he has passed away so now I sit it up for my old hens I have some hens[chickens] going on 10yrs old. This Panel one ya'll have looks like a good one.

Advice on clean up - wet/dry shop vac, i have two - a shop vac i think its 3g, its a decent size and i use it mainly for dry stuff<feathers, down, hay, pine chips, split dog/cat food, dried poo - the dry filter for it works better. The second one is a 4g Stanley and i like it more for the wet because it has an actual blower, it seems to do better with picking up liquids - wet poo, wet food, spilt water - i did have to make an adjustment on it, i have this tarplike screen material that im putting up around my back porch, i took a piece of that to put on the bottom of the ball cage because if you suck up any down feathers or feathers they go right through the large holes in the bottom and blow right back out again through the blower. I just cut a piece that was scrap fit it over the bottom and put the wet filter over top of it and it works well. The dry filter for the Stanley is to thick so it makes the motor work harder, and you don't get the proper suction, so even if i do dry stuff i dont use it... and i think i uh sucked up a mouse or rat cause i think i hear it scraching on the inside, but im afraid to open and look. Professional will be here in the morning, i think.

And if its just a small wet mess, handy wipes are my new best friends. Though i dont think small messes are in your future with 11 ducks. :):cool::)

I had a really nice shop vac, but I lent it out and maybe you know how that story goes. I'm kicking it old school, which builds character and badassery and gives me all kinds of "ain't nothing I can't do" points. It involves a scraper, a bucket, a broom for scrubbing, vinegar ( because some cleaning chemical would make things unpleasant for them), and a mop for sopping stuff up. Anyway, I have a lot of character. It's hard work, but worth the less worry.

I was having the same problem, my ducks were super cold and kept laying down to warm their feet. Once their water started freezing on their feathers I couldn't take it and brought them in the garage. I've been letting them out for a bit in the middle of the day when it's 'warmer'. They are confused and making a huge mess out of their pen in the garage but I feel better not worrying about them so much :) All these posts are making me feel better I'm not the only one who is spending a crazy amount of time each day keeping my quackers happy!

No way you could be the only one this crazy. Normally, everyone is fine, you know? This cold is just hard on everyone.
Silkies are inside in a crate because they were getting their feathers wet when drinking, and had icicles hanging off their faces.
Black Australorp inside because he got frostbite so bad on his wattles. The Vaseline wore off. I've switched to Bag Balm.
I have three hens inside because they are in a hard molt, or overmated, or have feathers in poor condition.
I have a mated pair of rosecomb bantams and their mixed breed friend in my living room in a giant crate. They would just stay in the coop, not coming out for food or water all day. I brought them in, and they warmed up, ate, and drank.
These crates have pine shavings, a roost bar, and I hooked up grow lights for fake sun. I have them pots of dirt to scratch in, and they seem pretty happy.

I really did feel like this weather was beyond what they were prepared for, and I didn't have the money or resources to get them properly fixed up outside. So, they're inside making it smell like outside and also, you know, I cancelled book club. I have a terrible cold, and that makes it all harder, but when you love your creatures you do what needs to be done. :)

Back
Top Bottom