I hate to have to say this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

the lone rhubarb

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
The beautiful rolling countryside
Now I don't like having to be the bearer of bad news, but I have been seeing some threads that are rude and
disrespectful. I'm not with backyard chickens or working for them or anything, but I joined this site to have a
good time and get helpful chicken facts from other chicken lovers like me.
smile.png
I love reading all sorts of things,
from someone asking for feeder advice, to someone mourning over a lost birdie. But I have been reading some
threads that got so mean and rude and unpleasant, that they had to be ended by this site or whoever!!!! Now,
for all I know, this site is meant to have people giving advice, mourning a loss, trying to figure out a problem,
or just talking about the fun of having chickens!!!! We don't need to be mean and rude and put people down to
offer our advice. Yes we may be veeeery mad that that car hit his chicken, or that that dern critter broke into her
coop and had a feast, or that that guest was mean to the birdies, and I feel the same as all of you, but we must
remember to be kind to everyone and not get to riled up!!!
big_smile.png
I love this site and I want everyone to have fun and
feel welcome!!! If you don't want to be nice, thats ok I'm not trying to be bossy, but please don't make anyone
feel like they're being put down on here!!!! I love BYC and I just want us all to have fun and get along!!!!
smile.png

Use the report button when you see anything inappropriate and the moderators will take care of it.

When i come across a thread where folks are getting riled up, i just stop reading and go to another topic. The moderators are pretty good at shutting down threads that get out of hand. i think most folks on this board are helpful and considerate. Just ignore the people who are spoiling for a fight.

I see a difference...

The random ramblings threads are social

The emergency section is data input

Predator and pests is a forum where folks come to talk about what is killing or harassing their livestock and how to deter catch/kill predators. As far as I know, there is 1 or 2 states that allow unlicensed folks to catch and relocate predators... but honestly its a state that I'd never have the occasion to travel through, let alone stop and visit. Thats why most folks in the P&P forums get upset when somebody says "I CAN'T KILL AN ANIMAL, I'LL SEND IT TO SOMEBODY ELSE'S HOUSE " or some such nonsense
smile.png
Folks who relocate predators in my area have been dealt with. Hopefully it won't happen again... but they aren't in any hurry to stop by my house for coffee.

Last edited:
Quote:
Boyd I don't think the OP meant the PP thread in particular, but the overall attitude on the site. Wrong thread but a noble thought, just one problem we are all human and all have our buttons. Some just have better sense and better control of the buttons. But I agree with you on your sentiment.

To the OP some sort of things just do not belong on this type of outlet. There are certain topics that attract trouble even if the original intent is noble. It is not a good place to air dirty laundry or ask for advice on sensitive personal matters. We on a whole are not professionals on such subjects and our advice can cause more harm than good, no matter how well intended.

Also.. sometimes people start a thread and then when they get advice that they dont want to hear they get all pissy about it... even when people are trying to be nice..
You cant win...
I just try to always remember to speak to someone like i'd want to be spoken to....AND to also learn to listen to the advice that is given on here nicely... even if its something that i dont agree with...

Last edited:
I've seen some rather rude posters as well, one in particular seems to be a teenager that has been raised to think talking down her nose to people almost every post is OK. But if people like that get on enough people's nerves they will be reported & spoken to by moderators. "Everyone" will never ever get along all of the time, but there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to disagree and debate.

For the most part the site has remained friendly & supportive so I think the Moderators have done a pretty good job. There certainly is a much warmer reception to newbies than on other animal care sites I have been on where newbies can expect to get their heads chewed off!

D.gif
To BYC!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom