I Hate to Say It, But,

So sorry to hear about Rameses:( I've enjoyed reading about him in your threads! He is such a beautiful boy, but you are making the right choice.
I have no idea if this is likely to help, but since I want to get Rameses through the spring breeding season without either of us getting hurt, I am trying something that may or may not help, but probably won't hurt.

When going out to close up, I'm picking him off the roost and carrying him around for 5 minutes or so -- talking to him the entire time.

It *might* (or might not), help convey the idea that even when I'm doing odd things I'm not a threat.

Then, when I'm done, I put him down on a different part of the roost than he chose.

The chance of conveying much to a bird whose testicles are larger than his head is probably slim, but I feel better about doing this than about trying to chase him, carrying a rooster stick, etc.

I will continue to walk through him and the young cockerels, as always.
We did this with Comet and were able to keep him from advancing past foot pecking. We did end up culling him in December when one of his aggressive sons (who was also culled) caused him to abandon his girls and spend his days on the far side of the neighbors property even after the son was culled. We kept 2 of his sons who so far🤞get along well and have no human aggression.
If you aren't already, I would suggest that you keep control of his head at all times when holding him too. I held Comet in my left arm and gently hovered my right hand behind his neck so he could not reach my face. He never tried, but I didn't want to give him that opportunity.

If you aren't already, I would suggest that you keep control of his head at all times when holding him too. I held Comet in my left arm and gently hovered my right hand behind his neck so he could not reach my face. He never tried, but I didn't want to give him that opportunity.

Good advice.

I'm in the habit of never allowing my chickens near my face already, but will pay even more careful attention to Rameses's head.

I can report that this morning he was giving me my space and yielded when I walked through him.

Good advice.

I'm in the habit of never allowing my chickens near my face already, but will pay even more careful attention to Rameses's head.

I can report that this morning he was giving me my space and yielded when I walked through him.
Maybe he knows we are talking about him. :)

Good advice.

If you wear glasses, you have at least partial protection for your eyes, which can help too.

I've noticed that the stories about chickens pecking someone's eye are almost entirely from people who do not wear glasses.

Good advice.

I learned that when my rooster pecked my teeth. He was genuinely curious but it sure rattled my brain for a moment.

I learned that when my rooster pecked my teeth. He was genuinely curious but it sure rattled my brain for a moment.

I just established the habit based on my experience with cockatiels -- the dominant bird perches the highest so I never allow a bird to sit above my eye level.

Back
Top Bottom