I Hate to Say It, But,

Pics
I had a rooster that was aggressive with the entire family. I took a different approach - however, this approach may not be as appealing to men. I wish I could remember where I read this approach so I can give credit to the person, but I cannot. I can just say it has worked magnificently. The purpose of this approach is to become a friend to your rooster instead of being either submission or dominant. Of course, if one takes the approach of pinning or something similar, you are establishing dominance, and if you run or back down you are establishing submission. The point of this approach is to take neither of these stances and become your roosters best friend. The author said that if you take a submission or dominant stance, it will be a constant battle to keep your position. The author also said by taking a stance of dominant or submissive, you are playing into his hands and giving him what he wants. When you don't play into it - he eventually stops playing. So, I suited up, boots, thick pants, face protection and long gloves and let Milo (my rooster) attack me. I didn't react and while he was attacking me and I talked to him with a baby voice. The second time I went out, he didn't attack me but did follow me around nervously. The third time I took meal worms and sat on the ground and he came over to me and ate mealworms from my hand. The fourth time, I didn't suit up and again sat on the ground and fed him mealworms. This time I got up and fed him some also. When I go into his run/coop area to clean, I talk in a baby voice to him and tell him what a good rooster he is. When I take out food or snacks, I feed him first and tell him I am taking care of his ladies. When I find a grub, I give it to him- and he gives it to the ladies. Now, when I go out in the morning to let them out - I always call him my best buddy and tell him what a great rooster he is. I have two roosters, Enzo is my other rooster. Yesterday, Enzo came up to me quickly and ruffled his feathers. Milo was near the ladies about 25 feet away. He arrived to Enzo in a couple seconds and took Enzo down and then walked away proudly. And you would not believe this, but, today, Milo came and sat on my lap. He still attacks my husband and my grandson (17). They refuse to do what I did.

Last edited:
Sorry this is happening, but he should be on that 'short list' before he does real harm. It won't be better later.
Mary

I gave him one chance to reform.

He still attacks my husband and my grandson (17).

My philosophy is not to be part of the flock at all.

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. Attacking me should be as much out of the question as attacking a cow or a horse that shared the pasture.

I won't tolerate an aggressive animal of any species.

This is the problem with getting a rooster to be fine with one person. It won't translate into 'fine with everyone', so he's still a danger to all other humans, large or small. Not good!
Mary
But really, how many people will he be around? I am sorry, but I have a soft spot for roosters - they are so abused and misunderstood, not by us, but by the industry. They are trying to do their jobs

But really, how many people will he be around? I am sorry, but I have a soft spot for roosters - they are so abused and misunderstood, not by us, but by the industry. They are trying to do their jobs
I agree. Everyone hates roosters but they are really just doing their job protecting their hens. They are very brave and would die for the hens.

Not everyone

If I hated roosters, I certainly wouldn't have nearly as many as I do and people would not hold onto aggressive males or try to sneak around HOA laws concerning them.
Didn't work for me.
I've had some respond to a quick scold and feather tug, but the majority don't learn. Shame because it's almost always the pretty ones.

Back
Top Bottom